Integral is everything a Pet Shop Boys song should be. It's their most bombastic track since Left To My Own Devices - you can just hear Neil saying, "more strings! make 'em more massive!" A few bits I love:
- The political lyric about our suddenly Orwellian society and the fact that nothing is deemed private anymore.
- The way the strings actually SLAM on the opening of the second verse (just after the 1 min. mark). People's heads will surely explode a la "Scanners" when they hear this on a huge sound system.
- The slightly Eurodisco quality to the song.
- The spoken bits: Sterile. Immaculate. Rational. Perfect. (note: that's pronounced "ster-aisle" for the Americans)
- The last minute of the song is like a glorious, messy orgasm.
- How many takes did Neil do to get that final "puhfect"? It IS.
I would love to post this track, but fear I'd be totally shut down as it has yet to be released. While we wait, check out Tremble Clef for a song called "If Neil Tennant Was My Lover."