February 26, 2014

Spring Songs #4: The D Word

Understand this: The first truly great album of 2014 is out of left field: Love, Marriage & Divorce by Toni Braxton and Babyface. These tunes are solid 1992 'face and Toni, all creamy smooth and swinging lowwww.

The album's closer, The D Word, is notable for some lush instrumental passages. If you want an up-tempo, check out the phenomenal, slutty Sweat.



The LP is primarily duets, but there are some solo tracks, the best of which is (surprisingly) Babyface's I Hope That You're Okay. That one is actually kind of sweet, while the next song, Toni's self-composed retort - I Wish - has this howler line:
I hope she gives you a disease, so that you will see. Not enough to make you die, but only make you cry, like you did to me. 

Seriously, this record is the JAM.






4 comments:

Demetrius said...

Indeed it is. Rollercoaster has taken me BACK to the time when an album cut was hopefully a future radio single (smash)! And otherwise, just getting played over and over and (happy sigh) over again.

xolondon said...

Rollercoaster was actually the one I downloaded as a test to see whether I wanted the LP! Such a good album...

(thx for commenting!!)

Darryl Mead said...

So, I love Toni and Babyface big time and squealed with delight when I hear Hurt You and the album was coming. I've become obsessed with it - the more I play it the more I want to play. It's pure class.

xolondon said...

One of the albums of the year, Darryl! There are no duds on it.