September 16, 2013

Autumn Mix #1: The Best Jewel Thief In The World

Prefab Sprout's Two Wheels Good - or Steve McQueen in the UK - is probably my favorite album of all time. That slot rotates between a few albums, like Hounds of Love and Amplified Heart. Paddy McAloon, the man behind Prefab, certainly has the richest male voice in pop. After years of producing flawless music, he retreated in the last decade due to health problems, releasing only one "lost" 1992 LP in 2008. Now he's back with the gorgeous Crimson /Red, out October 7. The first single, The Best Jewel Thief In The World, is a brilliant way to start my fall faves.. it even has harmonica!


The stream above has the DJs talking. Sorry about that. The album version chorus has a line, "What do those assholes know?," that's been edited to "What do those people know?" for radio.




4 comments:

Jason @ Electric Avenue said...

I so love what I have heard of this album. I don't know if this is more older stuff that went unreleased, but if it was, I am glad to finally hear it. Hopefully his health issues have been addressed somewhat and he can make some music again. Wasn't it some sort of skin ailment? What a talented guy, and I would find it hard to choose one album over another as his quality of work is always so high.

xolondon said...

He has tinnitus (!) and a retinal problem. No skin ailment that I know of, other than some serious aging!

Jason @ Electric Avenue said...

Just remembered he'd had some medical condition about 10 years ago that seriously impaired his vision. Can you imagine being a musician and going blind AND deaf? Sheesh...

xolondon said...

He still has those problems. And I'd rather not think about that scenario for anyone.