June 24, 2013

Song of Summer #6: I Love You


Hearing I Love You by Woodkid - the stage name of French singer songwriter Yoann Lemoine - reminded me a bit of when I discovered The Divine Comedy back in 1995. There is always a place for this kind of sweeping, Walker Brothers-inspired music. It becomes a standard the first time you hear it. The orchestral middle eight, from 2:12 to 2:51, will lay you flat. There is nothing more romantic than a love that remains unrequited.



An acoustic version amplifies the heartsick quality of the lyrics. The album this is from, The Golden Age, is out now worldwide. Run Boy Run and Iron are also recommended. The cool trivia about Lemoine/Woodkid is that he's also a well-known video director. His resume includes Katy Perry's Teenage Dream and Lana Del Rey's Born to Die.



5 comments:

countpopula said...

Three words...Oh...My...God. You have just introduced me to a new favorite artist. Like a cross between Marc Almond, Antony & the Johnsons, and Patrick Wolf. STUNNING. I think you had mentioned him before, but this my first chance to spend time with it. Now it's time to spread the word amongst friends...

Thanks again! Wow!

countpopula said...

Seriously, I am addicted now. Thanks a million once more!

xolondon said...

Haha! My work here is done. I am adore Run Boy Run.

DanProject76 said...

Another surprise! Love this, glad your blog is providing me with music purchase ideas like the old days.

xolondon said...

I should ask for a cut of the profits, hmmmm? :)