August 28, 2012

Human kindess is overflowing



The ever epic Barbra Streisand is releasing what will likely be a dream album for fans... it's music from the vaults. Release Me has 11 songs recorded from 1963 to the present. Today she released a stream, of her version of Randy Newman's I Think It's Going Rain Today, with Newman on piano. This is from the 1971 Stoney End - great album! - sessions. The new release also includes an outtake of Home from The Wiz that was left off of Back To Broadway. It's out on October 9 - full details here.

I should add that Bette Midler does a fine version of this on the Beaches soundtrack. Nina Simone also recorded it. I always loved the line "the frozen smiles to chase love away" - it's not the happiest song. Whatever. Like any respectable... librarian... I love Babs.

Xolondon's Top Ten Plus One Barbra Streisand Songs
in no order

Send In The Clowns
Stoney End
Run Wild
Since I Fell For You
I Hate Music/Nobody's Heart
Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most*
What Are You Doing The Rest Of Your Life
Where Is It Written
No Matter What Happens
No More Tears
Move On


*back in the 90's I used to make friends mix-tapes with this as the title.

6 comments:

Dan said...

I can't wait for this album. But that's not all that surprising now, is it? ;)

John said...

While I've most renounced my love of Bette, "I Think It's Going to Rain Today" is an indisputable classic. She really captures the melancholy of the sentiment. I'll have to check out the Babs version.

xolondon said...

I must admit that while Babs' voice is in fine form, this version is not a fave...

Anonymous said...

Dusty Springfield, anyone??

dishy said...

Thank You! DUSTY is forever being ignored - her album with this, "Dusty, Definitely" is amazing! However, I must say that IMHO - the definitive version was done by CASS ELLIOT!

Barbra Streisand said...

Her album with this "Dusty" is amazing! Agreed