June 29, 2012

George Michael is, well done him, alive!

Somehow, a zebra figures in the White Light video.

George Michael's finally released White Light, a song he's been teasing on twitter for awhile now. A literal thank you to fans for their support during his illness last year, it's not at all the expected weepie. Rather, it's a dancefloor track in the vein of Amazing. Fortunately for all of us, the opening auto-tuned vocal is a red herring - he actually sings the song, albeit with a kind of woozy delivery. White Light is not Fastlove, no, but it's a solid addition to George's - err - amazing "canon." The "tomorrow is mine" middle eight is typically sublime. He may be two tokes over the line, but he can still deliver.

White Light is out on August 12 - why so long? There's also a new b-side, this one a cover of Tim Buckley's Song To The Siren.


madhouse said...

god the delivery is absolute shit. what happened to the man behind faith and freedom 90? seriously - he used to be a master at pop song craft, this is terrible. the middle 8 is the best, but that's not saying much.

sorry - really disappointed.

xolondon said...

Play it a few more times! It's perhaps a grower?

Anonymous said...

This is really terrible. Half of the verses end in a drunken mumble.

countpopula said...

Wow, there's a lot of negativity going on around this. Personally, I love it. His voice isn't quite what it used to be, and I would say maybe it's years of pot smoking, but I'm not sure that's the case, as he has been singing fine in concert. I also think we should all cut the guy a break--he had a trachaeotomy last year! He's singing in a bit lower range and is slightly more gruff, but it's not BAD, just the signs of an aging voice. There are very few older singers I can think of that sound almost like they did when young--especially men. Maybe Neil Tennant or Jimmy Somerville. Even Andy Bell's voice has aged. It's a fact of life. However, I am SO glad the vocoder use is minimized--a MILLION times better than that awful True Faith cover.

That being said, I don't think there's any drunken mumbling here. It's not like Bob Dylan suddenly entered the room. The song has been compared by some to "Precious Box", but I think it's a lot more clear, concise, and structured than that song, and there are hooks, they're just more subtle than "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go". I think the production is current and classy (try that, Prince), and the message is so affirming and uplifting. I especially like the first verse which seems to be all about Amy Winehouse without actually namechecking her name.

It probably won't top the charts, but if his upcoming material is anything like this, I'm sure there will be more things to look forward to, and there will probably be some happier-sounding things as well, as George knows variety is important. He is thankful for surviving a near death experience, and I am thankful he still has time to contribute some musical gifts to the world.

MusicLover said...

I love it. On first, second and third listens, I love it.
Exciting, classy, sleek production. George's pop song
craft is superbly demonstrated. It's pulsing with optimism!

Another demonstration of why he's a master. He's going to be
acknowledged by the critics one day - mark my words! :-)

xolondon said...

I think he already is acknowledged to some degree. he just kind of hurt his name with all the drama.

billcsistunedon said...

I really want to like this, but not feeling it at all. I'm glad he's looking back to the Patience days with this effort, but George's records are all about the distinctive vocals to me, and this one misses because that wonderful voice is not what it should be right now.

Anonymous said...

I like the song. Yes, I'm surprised by all the negativity. I don't hear anything wrong with his voice. To me, it sounds pretty much the same as it always has.