June 22, 2012

Fiona Apple: I Just Want to Feel Everything



Last night I finished one of the finest artist profiles I've ever read. A New York Magazine piece on Fiona Apple. It was hard to come back to the real world...

In this section, the writer, Dan P. Lee, describes the two year limbo period when her new album was completed but not released...
This is how, at least partially, she’d come about a year ago to some dense California woods, to a cabin beside a very tall hill. She’d planned to spend a week in total silence among strangers, mostly meditating, which she does from time to time, she told me, “to become myself as a child.” Soon, however, she found herself drawn to the hill, which she began climbing and did not stop, eight hours every day. In her head, she heard: Do it, do it, till you’re satisfied. She also heard the rhythm, of the bones and cartilage and sinews of her knee, clicking and rubbing against itself, and though she knew she was injuring herself, she kept going, the rhythm — the click, click, whoosh from her knee — bringing inexplicable satisfaction.
In the piece, there are references to her new (unnerving) video, Every Single Night:



and Elvis Costello's cover of her amazing heartbreak song, I Know.

3 comments:

countpopula said...

I know Fiona's new one is critically acclaimed, but I am finding it difficult to warm to. Maybe she's finally crossed into that realm where, like Bjork, the art is more meaningful to the artist than the music. There are inspired moments, but they lack what I like to call a memorable melody. I know some people who can't stand the girl AT ALL, so I guess I find myself somewhere in the middle these days.

xolondon said...

Lyrically it's so ON, musically I don't like it either.

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised to hear those reactions to Fiona's record, I don't think it's that bizarre or inaccessible. It's not that radically different from her earlier records. Fiona is not a top 40 mainstream artist. She has her own style, but it still has melodies and hooks. I agree that I absolutely hate Bjork's recent music and think it's too out there. But Fiona's album is nothing as strange as Bjork's stuff. It still has the jazzy piano based stuff she has always done.