March 27, 2012

Ren Harvieu's Open Up Your Arms

Ren Harvieu's powerful new single, Open Up Your Arms, is the one. Her earlier songs, Through The Night and Forever In Blue, were solid, if a bit too staid for a 22 year old. Her phrasing on those tracks is gorgeous, if a bit ripped from kd lang (a class influence, I'd say). This new single, however, notches up the tempo, the personality and the melodies.

The song really coalesces when a male backing chorus takes over the sax-laden bridge at 2:35, swooning: "Open up your arms, let me in, let me in before it's too late." Ren returns and carries the whole track into the stratosphere. It's ecstatic, as if they're singing to me. And it's just what I needed.


The 12-track album, Through The Night, is out in the UK on April 23, as is Open Up Your Arms. Read a short interview with Ren, who literally broke her back in half last year, in 1883 Magazine.


Anonymous said...


xolondon said...

I am so glad someone commented. YES! I love it.

Anonymous said...

Love it too

Xrayhaines said...

Love this singer. Ed Harcourt is the backing vocalist.

xolondon said...

Oh wow,love Ed! Thanks for the info

jillyO said...

absolutely haunting I could play it non-stop