November 13, 2011

Pet Shop Boys, formatted



Pet Shop Boys just announced via the Cambridge student newspaper ,Varsity that in February they are releasing a new bsides collection covering the years 1996 to 2009. It will be called Format.

We’re putting out another B-sides album in February, like an ‘Alternative’ part two. But we’re calling it Format,” says Neil, referring to their classic B-sides collection from 1995.

Chris sounds a little concerned, “We’re not announcing that yet, are we?”

“Well why not - these things are usually leaked through some Japanese website anyway. I’d rather it came out here,” insists Neil. “It’s all our B-sides from 1996 to 2009, starting with The Truck Driver and His Mate”.

“Oh I like that song,” Chris pipes up, “It’s just our little tribute to Oasis. In fact Jon Savage pointed out that it’s the chord change from Some Might Say. Though he’d better not put that in the sleeve notes when he writes them.”

“Actually I think some of our best songs are B-sides,” declares Neil, “Because on a B-side you can do what you like”.
I don't have strong memories or favorites from the b-sides of that era, as I do earlier tracks like Miserablism or Decadence. A few that do leap out:

The Truck Driver and His Mate



The Boy Who Couldn't Keep His Clothes On
We're the Pet Shop Boys
Delusions Of Grandeur
The Resurrectionist
Always
We're All Criminals Now
My Girl

Which ones are the best of those years? Remind me!

8 comments:

DanProject76 said...

I spent way too much time making 4 volumes of MP3 PSB a while back and inserted rather a lot of old CD singles into my computer. Love the Alternative album so much and looking forward to this new one despite having them all already. Top tracks in my opinion:
The Truck-Driver And His Mate
Delusions Of Grandeur
Sexy Northerner
We're The Pet Shop Boys
I Didn't Get Where I Am Today
Bright Young Things

xolondon said...

Totally forgot Sexy Northerner!

Martin said...

I think this will have to be a 3CD set -- even a conservative list of the b-sides since 1995 runs 190 minutes or so.

After The Event is the b-side to end all b-sides, imho.

xolondon said...

That one's on my ipod. Going back to it now!

countpopula said...

I second a lot of these:

We're the Pet Shop Boys
After the Event
I Didn't Get Where I Am Today
The Resurrectionist
We're All Criminals Now
Bright Young Things
Always
The Ghost of Myself
Sexy Northerner
The Boy Who Couldn't Keep His Clothes On
Party Song
Viva la Vida
Between Two Islands

Actually since these sort of represent the best B-sides, they might make a good album on their own. I'm sure it will be a sprawling affair, however. Yes, indeed.

countpopula said...

Ack! I almost forgot Bilingual's B-sides which are great (they were already released on the Further Listening deluxe edition):

The Truck-Driver & His Mate (thanks Dan)
Delusions of Grandeur
Hit and Miss
How I Learned to Hate Rock 'n' Roll
Betrayed
The View From Your Balcony

(Calm Before the Storm and Disco Potential are merely good)

Whew! Now that's a long album! Do remixes of other tracks count? I'm thinking Discoteca (single version) and Fugitive (seven-inch mix). Such a wealth of riches.

Jams said...

Hit & Miss

Simply one of the best Pet Shop Boys songs ever recorded.

Daft Monk said...

PSB are certainly one of the rare acts where you find yourself consistently puzzled by what gets left off their proper albums as bsides. Imagine how amazing Fundamental would be if they had trimmed a couple of tracks and replaced them with "The Resurrectionist", "Bright Young Things" & "Fugitive" (okay that last one is not technically a bside).
My favorites of the post Alternative era are "Betrayed" & "I Didn't Get Where I Am Today" which both should have been singles. "How I Learned To Hate Rock 'n' Roll" isn't too bad either...