September 14, 2011

10 Musical Thoughts: It's a fine romance



Bring fall now. Please. Some songs I recommend...

01 The US iTunes bonus track, Flicker And Fail, from Laura Marling's new album is really good. Someone's been listening to 70's Joni Mitchell.

02 If you are looking for a heartfelt, soothing song, I recommend Judie Tzuke's cover of John Martyn's Hurt In Your Heart, It's available on iTunes on the Johnny Boy Would Love This compilation.

03 Nicola Robert's upcoming album-closer Sticks And Stones is pretty high up on the artistry front. Everything about that song is handled with elegance and economy.

04 Likewise, I have been crushing on the final track, Someone Got Everything, from Penguin Prison's debut. It's a moody electrofolk ballad, with a lyric that is variations of "Someone's got everything they need, they got everything they want, they got nothing." It's one of those songs that starts to haunt you. Amazing.

05 Oldies. I have recently been crushing on two lost early 80's gems: Gladys Knight's Save The Overtime and The Pointer Sisters' Freedom. For the latter, get the long album version, far superior to the single edit

06 Darren Hayes' new Australian single Bloodstained Heart is perhaps his finest solo record to date. He told me it is "the thing I'm most proud of in 20 years of doing this."

07 For a bit of joy, try the chill inducing Save Me from Gotye's new album. It's on iTunes worldwide now. Pounding drums, male choral vocals, and a beautiful lyric, "And you gave me love when I could not love myself. And you made me turn from the way I saw myself... you saved me." It wrecks me.

08 My friend, the Count, who runs an actual record store, recommended a new Dirty Vegas song, Never Enough. He's right, it's great!

09 The random retro Paul Weller single Starlite is a real grower. It doesn't try too hard and for that aone, it wins. I wish Paul would return to this style, which is like late Style Council. He put this song out as a one-off because it did not fit his new album.

10 Florence. I could cry, her new single is so good. It makes me wanna run across a mountain top singing, with my arms thrown out.

3 comments:

countpopula said...

Thanks for the shoutout! It is a good song from a somewhat ignored project. More like that next time, please.

The Florence song is superb!

DanProject76 said...

Nicola Roberts is the Siobhan Donaghy of Girl Aloud, if you know what I mean.

Weekday Jukebox said...

Great list. Nothing wrong with being moody as long as you have a good soundtrack.