July 3, 2011

Bright Light x2's Disco Moment

Another jewel from Bright Light Bright Light. For me, the unique power in Rod's songs often comes down to the way the music - in this case, galloping discopop - plays against his voice, which often sounds quite plaintive. Disco Moment, out on August 7th, is defined by a beautifully sad lyric...

Oh, you seem to change your mind in a heartbeat,

But still you try to keep your arms somewhere around me

Well, not like this, it's not how I operate...

I am open, I am open, but I might just close.

The video is fantastic... the actors look like they've been ripped from a fashion spread in an issue of The Face, from Rod's beloved 1990's.

More about Disco Moment in The Guardian


John said...

If I had the money, I would have John Hughes create a movie built around BLx2's music. Even the instrumentals convey the message of the song. I've never met the guy (I know you have), but it is hard for me to think of someone as worthy and deserving of success as Rob, and I hope he gets whatever level of it that he desires.

Paul said...

it's absolutely heavenly. everything works so well about it. Rod is an absolute charmer/heartbreaker. THOSE EYES!! (those lips :P)