July 23, 2011

Amy Winehouse


Amy Winehouse looking great in London last week. I was musing then about what Amy should do with her hair. :(

The idea that I could sit here and type, "I never thought I'd be saying this" about the death of Amy Winehouse is absurd, given the reality of her life for the past 5 years. I always hoped that she would have a happy ending of earned wisdom, career or no career. Today's social media storm of news and commentary was as much a spectacle as her recent life. The poor judgment, in my opinion, of some tweeters was balanced by incredibly articulate comments about her and the trouble she faced. I don't have much to add except this...


All I can do is feel incredibly sad for those who loved her, be it family, friends or fans, of which I am one. I can only guess, given the pretty flagrant clues, that Amy Winehouse was deeply troubled. It makes sense that this pain - whatever spurred it - probably predates her fame. In fact, it may be what led her to express herself through music in the first place. And then those personal issues devoured her.

An online friend of mine who had met her told me that Amy was lovely, bright in person, never wanted fame and was scared of playing live. Characteristics you cannot glean from a photo of her weaving down a London street in dirty ballet slippers.
It's really easy to sit online and judge her and those around her, but life has taught me you cannot make someone change if they don't want to change.

As Popjustice did
, I played her music all day long.

And here is my favorite...




My review of Back To Black.
The lyrics on that album still astonish me: her spikey wit, elegance of phrase and strong sense of melancholy. She will be missed, but, as I already knew before today, I will never stop playing her music.

And this below, it's brilliant. Think of how the people with her - look at her tiny mom - feel now:

4 comments:

CarolynG said...

Beautiful post. I think reality tv has made a lot of people forget that not everyone wants their 15 minutes. Some people just want to make music. Unfortunately art is frequently lost to fame.

Jason said...

Thank you for this post. The immediate response to her death was a bit ridiculous but I am glad to see some more balanced thoughts on the loss of this incredible talent.

xolondon said...

It's funny how people think that others should be able to control and reform a drug addict when they cannot even control their own elderly parents. You know? I suppose it is frustration speaking when people get all blamey like that.

All anyone has to do is see Amy's mom (who she looked like) to more clearly get the deeply sad side of this story.

Vix said...

Aah we share the same favourite song by Amy- Love Is A Losing Game is just beautiful. I think it's destined to be a timeless classic- it has that feel about it.

The harsh comments you see in cases like this from some individuals hiding behind the anonymity of the internet never fail to shock and distress me.

Surely anyone with a shred of empathy could not fail to look at the change in Amy from that curvy fresh-faced ingenue back in 2004 to that sad, emaciated figure she cut in recent years and feel
sympathy and sadness? It was like you could see her demons inside eating her up from within.