November 21, 2010

The Case of Joe Worricker

What do you do when you like a song and then see the video and want to run screaming? How do you rectify that? Close your eyes? Such is the case of British artist Joe Worricker, signed to Rough Trade. It's not that I can't look at him, but Finger-Waggers' Tupperware party theme just says nothing to me about who Joe is. In fact, it practically squeals, "I want to be Mika." WHO wants to be Mika in 2010?

His myspace has more tunes: We Hug In Bed is similarly poppy (maybe a bit too for me), but Bobby Blue is unique, especially the vocals, which have a strange recorded-underwater quality.
Joe already has an EP on iTunes (US included) - from that release, the Jay-Jay Johanson-esque Wrap Me Up is the smooth keeper. Check him out and see what you think.

In the meantime, pretend you never saw this video...

3 comments:

John said...

"Bobby Blue"..."Billy Brown"...

Yeah, I can see the similarities.

Jason said...

Sounds autotuned...

KulPop said...

I picked up his 4 track EP in London and have mixed feelings about this guy. Definitely a unique voice but I'm not hearing a song that jumps out at me yet. 'Bobby Blue' is a co-write with Green Gartside (Scritti Politti) and I'm eager to hear anything else they may have worked on together.