October 12, 2010

Hurts video brief: You say goodbye in the pouring rain



Hurts have a new video for their third single, Stay. NOT MY CHOICE, this song, but I am not the boss of Theo/Adam Hurts, am I? In this video, which is filled with dour beauty shots of Theo, the Brothers Melodrama trade in their Robert Palmer girls for a bunch Carrie Underwood/Duffy lookalikes... an immediate fail in my book. And what is the symbolism of that craggy ocean rock? Is it phallic? That would... you guessed it... HURT.

Note this clip will probably be devoured by label suits. If so, try this.

7 comments:

Paul said...

i love a boy fingering a piano keyboard so those bits work for me, but the rest - not so much. Criminally i actually forgot i was meant to see these last monday. I am chagrinned. What would you have chosen for a single?

xolondon said...

I would have chosen something more UP. Like Sunday? Don't know. I am obsessed with Happiness, the song, and confused about it's status as an album cast-off.

afoolforlesserthings said...

Hi,
The video link no longer works but the official video is available at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15uFb2wjxjg.

Cheers!

xolondon said...

THANKS!

Michael said...

I like the video, it's pretty. The song isn't one of the better ones I've heard from the duo. It borders on big Josh Groban ballad.

xolondon said...

LOL that Josh Groban comment. Not unfair!

Mike said...

The first thing that came into mind was Paul Young - Come Back and Stay video. The second thing that came into mind was, "They must be really cold out there on the rocks." LOL.

I haven't heard their album yet, but I do like the song. The video is shot really well too IMHO. He also looks better just standing there behind a mic and emoting though. It kind of looks awkward when he starts dancing and 'acting' out, right?