September 8, 2010

Retro Post: She Who Had The Last Laugh.



Tonight on twitter I was wishing for some new female singers who would shake up the industry like Tori Amos did back in the 1990s. To say I am disenchanted by the rut she-poppers are in this year is an understatement. Tori has a rep as a spacey "fairy," but if you want to hear the other side, buy her live version of Don't Look Back In Anger on iTunes and you will hear a story about Morrissey that's a total jaw-dropper. It's wicked funny and shows her no-bullshit rock'n'roll chick side. Worth a sweaty penny.

Or read this post, I first put up on January 26, 2006:

So I've been reading the Tori Amos book, Piece By Piece, and there is some amazing stuff in there, especially about the music industry and some of the shit that went down following the release of her Choirgirl CD. She had a honcho at Atlantic stand up and literally pound on his desk, screaming "I OWN you, Tori Amos! I own you!" Like a bad movie. I will be sending excerpts to my trolls, but I wanted to quote this little bit for you now...

Tori Amos on the topic of dressing rooms:
We'll often get into a venue and there's nothing on the walls but dingy, chipping paint - this isn't a place where you want to be licking or even touching the walls. It's just a crash pad, and the night before it might have been the crash pad for a metal band - love you guys, but they will have left the place stinking of vomit and stale semen and pussy oil, still pungent on the couch and floor from the human sardines who had a fuckfest. Yum.

2 comments:

DanProject76 said...

This post perfectly sums up why I love Tori Amos!

... and the music, obviously.

Doron said...

I miss the old Tori.

Incidentally, I was at that Manchester gig where she did "Don't Look Back In Anger" and told the Morrissey story. It was one of the best shows of hers I have seen. Her solo performances are so much more exciting than the band ones.