September 20, 2010

The Case of Ed Drewett.

Ed Drewett's debut single is blindingly good simply for my favorite line: "It's a dilemmatic situation..." It's called Champagne Lemonade. But, in every silver lining there is a cloud. First watch this:



and now the actual recording...



Hmph. I like the first one so much better. The Tim (Xenomania) Powell production on the studio version obscures, for me, the fantastic melody and lyric. He also reminds me on the studio mix more of Just Jack, whom I love, but we don't need another version of. To be sure, the chorus soars. It'll be interesting to see if this takes off. He has the same kind of spark, at least from what we've seen, as Lily Allen had back when she was not a seamstress heavy with child.

If Ed Drewett is not a pop star by this time in 2011, then the fifth horseman of the apocalypse is surely taking a piss around the corner.

5 comments:

Mike said...

Couldn't agree more! The swing version has more character and emotion. Obviously it's a personal song and I feel that's lost in the production of the single version. Few can pull off the swing vibe, Ed is definitely one of those. Though, I'm more partial to under-produced, acoustic music myself. Less is more!

John said...

I like them both, although you def get more personality in the first clip. BTW, I looked at the release date and thought "why are they keeping people waiting so long", and then realized it's only a month away. Where did 2010 go? Not that I'm sad to see it go...

Paul said...

it's very good indeed. I'm sad that it makes my Disco Lemonade "song" from my boyband novel seem dated and old hat. Still i've pissed around with this book for 5 years now so it's probably entirely irrelevant anyway. bring on the new broom!

trixie said...

I prefer the swing version but don't see any star quality here, or a debut good enough to make an impact. Sounds like Just Jack, to the quick looking eyes could be mistaken for Mr Hudson etc. Seems an automatic fail from the label.

xolondon said...

Talia you are tough! We'll see what happens...