July 6, 2010

Everybody has their Aphrodite


This is not posed. That is what he did. He took my seat and stayed there.

But me. My Kylie swag arrived in the mail and Jasper The Bond Cat commandeered it. It was 101 Fahrenheit today in DC and I happened to be home to rescue the vinyl from my front step. And then Jasper plopped his warm body down and slept on it all afternoon.

A word about the packaging - or "packaging concerns," as REM would call them. The Experience Edition is in a small book form, much like the recent Duran reissues. Lots of photographs by Will Baker and a DVD with live footage of the ballad-y section of her recent American tour. Unintentionally, the inclusion of those clips highlights one flaw with Aphrodite - that there is nothing on the sweeping level of Confide In Me, a song I think sits at the top if the Kylie canon. I am not overly thrilled with the recent lack of ballads on pop albums. A trend that must end in 2011.

That said, Aphrodite is the pop album of 2010. It knocked Goldfrapp down a peg. If you'd like to know what I thought of the songs, check out my track by track.

8 comments:

Brad said...

I'm just here for the photo.

AMAZING.

John said...

I'm sure he'd do the same with Robbie's face if given the chance. (And the word verification is "malis")

xolondon said...

Oh you know, John, many animals would. Or do.

countpopula said...

I bought my Experience Edition CD yesterday, but had the LP on hold at my store. I was not working at the store today, but when I spoke to my employee this afternoon, he said a guy had come in wanting the LP, and he didn't know if he could sell it as I had it on hold. I told him that it was fine, and I could get another LP later.

Apparently the customer came back later in the day, bought the regular CD, the deluxe CD AND the LP. To top it off, he was wearing a sparkly t-shirt with the letters "KM" on it. I wanted to see this person if for no other reason than to prove to myself just how strong Kylie's American cult following can be!

D'luv said...

@John + Xo, BITCHEZ.

Phil said...

It's a global phenom! http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/48586146.html

jared said...

I saw Kylie's tweet! You are sooo lucky :)

Aaron said...

Awww!!! - How gorgeous! - Loving the packaging, and I'm actually going to disagree with you - I'm loving the ditching of the ballads!