June 7, 2010

Happy Birthday, O Purple One



Today is Prince's 52nd Birthday.

I have resigned myself to the fact that he will never really make a comeback or even properly revisit his old work. That's life: u don't get what u want.

There was a time when every move Prince made was anticipated as a world event. Each album release was greeted with excitement and a knowledge that he would take you to a new place he (and you) hadn't been before. Now we've had more years of bad Prince albums than good, his last two being generally quite shiteous. Rumors of a new album (Androgynine?) abound and, as the sky is blue, I will anticipate something good and be let down once again. Like Courtney Love, Prince is his own undoing.

Here is a list of my Prince favorites and here is a post I did in March about Kevin Smith's hilarious hero-busting experience working with the little purple maestro.

7 comments:

El MarvelOso said...

There's nothing to like from him anymore. Black Sweat was the last glimpse of what he used to be.

countpopula said...

Amen to Black Sweat. The more time passes, the more I seem to disregard the 90's albums that I liked at the time, especially Diamonds & Pearls and Symbol. I still kinda like Gold Experience and Emancipation (albeit, in small doses) though. Crystal Ball has stood the test of time as the best of the bunch, and that was made up of quite a few 80's tracks. Can you imagine how many hours of fantastic unreleased stuff from that decade is just sitting in his vaults waiting to be unleashed? Time to reassert the genius then...

Surprised Prince gets a birthday wish...I don't remember you doing the same for Kylie and Morrissey in the past couple weeks...

xolondon said...

I always remember Prince's birthday because it was very heralded when I was young.

Jason said...

I've been listening to 1999 a lot lately... "Automatic" and "Something in the Water" are delicious LinnDrum goodness.

El MarvelOso said...

and another thing...

I always try to separate the person from the artist when it comes to his/ her music. This means that I can appreciate good music from someone who is so messed up as a person.

Prince became the first person to change this. He's just too weird (especially with pushing his religion). I REALLY dislike him now. His new music hasn't help in changing my mind.

That "Purple and Gold" song for the Vikings was one of the worst songs I've ever heard!

Robin said...

Don't gays have any pride?

Prince has become a wretched homophone, why are we even talking about him?

Get some pride!

xolondon said...

I am not even going to answer that. Don't come here and lecture.