April 19, 2010

Review: Robyn's Dancing On My Own



Robyn has been leaking new tracks from her Body Talk project for a few weeks now and I've been a bit... disconnected. They seem more swaggering and candy coated than I wanted from the woman who wrote Dream On and Be Mine. In a recent interview, she talked about how she found her "sad voice" on her last album, especially on With Every Heartbeat, but I wasn't hearing that voice.

The official new single, Dancing On My Own, is finally out and it's hairs-on-end stuff. At her best, Robyn delivers something deeper than what the pop charts allow. I feel like no one's noticed the lack of contemplation or darkness in recent pop music. The "echelon" is aglow with glitter sticks and boom boom and... that's it. Robyn consistently takes you deep into a mood, the same way bands like Depeche Mode and New Order used to do. Think of the former's Never Let Me Down Again or the latter's Regret. Her music is for those of us who appreciate rain and clouds.

"I'm not the girl you're taking home, I keep dancing on my own."

Dancing On My Own is a tearjerker. The more you play it, the more you want to burst into projectile tears.

Update: Here is the proper video (and it's epic)

6 comments:

Martin said...

It's "I'm not the girl you're taking home," isn't it?

xolondon said...

Yes! That was me making a Freudian typo. I did it on twitter too!

Aaron said...

Awesome! - Bring it on!

Thomas Godshalk said...

YES! You make such good points. "Regret" is one of my favorite songs ever.

This is why I read your blog. Your writing is intelligent, insightful, and you know what you're talking about!

mfavre said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mfavre said...

the song is definitely on the sad side of the spectrum, but i feel some "i will be ok" from her. maybe it's because i like to dance on my own a lot... ;)