April 28, 2010

HURTS: Dancing on the valentine



HURTS retains their mystique as traders in minimalist cool. I mean, the singer can barely look anyone in the eye or move a facial muscle. We're talking restraint to the point of psychosis. Rule Brittania!

I still don't know what to make of this song, their first official single for Sony. I hate the way he exclaims the line "Every minute more brings you closer to God!" for instance. In that little bit, the whole cover is blown and they seem like Slimane-clothed arrivistes.*


But the "Turn away, turn away, close your eyes, you can run away...." b-chorus is just gorgeous.


* Edit: This is an overstatment, but it sure sounds good.

8 comments:

Cathrin said...

I saw them in Berlin in March and they both seemed really moved by how much the audience loved them. And Theo (I think Theo is the singer) was trying really really hard to suppress a smile - he didn't always succeed. Adam was even applauding towards the audience. They both appeared really sweet and even a bit nervous. :)

ModFab said...

God, they look just like Brother Beyond. Even the song is kind of a new-millennium parallel to "The Harder I Try."

The music's competent, but it never really catches true fire, does it?

xolondon said...

Lucky Cathrin! That was the same with Florence (& Machine)- she was very sweet in person. Unexpected!

I hear they are great live. I think this album will add up to something good based on the demos/leaks. Mod, you know Wonderful Life, right?

Michael said...

They should always be in black and white.

xolondon said...

I wish I could always be in black and white. I'd look much younger and less pink.

Yuяi said...

I'm loving the track, as well as "Better Than Love." I went on a find-this-mp3-or-else mission after reading the post. Resistance was futile. Rule Britannia!

xolondon said...

? This track IS Better Than Love Yuri!

Yuяi said...

hahaha...I totally meant to say Wonderful Life before. See, HURTS have put a hurtin' on me. LOL