April 21, 2010

The Curious Case of Kylie Minogue

This image does what most recent Kylie album covers* do: it screams


Indeed. But can we please acknowledge one glaring thing about this photo? That Kylie appears to be pulling some of that Benjamin Button shit?

Still, pop stars are never embarrassed about this sort of thing, are they? I remember my senior high school portrait being so airbrushed I thought it made me look Asian. I was mortified. If I had the pop star gene I would have just said, "Ooh, well done me! Don't I look deluxe?" and been on my way. The Kylie looks great here, but even better in real life.

*except, err, Body Language.
I don't like that one.


Oliveira said...

I actually don't know if I like this photo. It kind of resembles Tori Amos. The, you know, recent state of Tori Amos. And that is not a good thing.

xolondon said...

How true!! Though Kylie looks less waxen in person than Tori, who clearly enjoys some procedures...

Which is odd, because one would have never guessed Tori would fall for that stuff.

Mondo Oltro said...

Looks like some skincare ad.

xolondon said...

Bain De Soleil for the... Santorini tan?

countpopula said...

It's nice enough, but I guess we'll have to see how it relates to the music, if at all.

Poor old Body Language. A pretty great album with a rather dire cover. I know there are some who say fonts affect album sales, but I would venture that the image has even more impact than a font. If any of the other promotional shots from the photo campaign of that album had been used as the cover, it would have probably doubled in sales.

Tom said...


I just can't stop thinking about the legions of fans who will sit huddled in their kylie tshirts discussing why she called it afro-dyte. Haha.

She looks wierd- v true about the tori comparison, are her, madge and kyles just going to lock themselves away when they get past a certain point?!

And why is she stuck up a Greek chapel? And why has she deified herself?!

loveincminor.com said...

Why has she deified herself? Perhaps its just validating how fans feel about her. I find it ever so slightly arrogant and quite cool (I suppose its the blue). It looks like a (cosmetic)marketing campaign but I guess that's what pop is now. She better bring something innovative to the table, music-wise.

Tom said...

Aphrodite (Greek: Ἀφροδίτη, IPA: [apʰrodíːtɛː]; English: /ˌæfrɵˈdaɪtiː/; Latin: Venus) is the Greek goddess of love, beauty and sexuality.[2][3] According to Greek poet Hesiod, she was born when Cronus cut off Uranus' genitals and threw them into the sea, and from the aphros (sea foam) arose Aphrodite.

Yum yum.

Aaron said...

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's absolutely gorgeous! - It really is!

Plus, I'll actually beg to differ on the Body Language thing, I quite like the cover...!