March 12, 2010

We will keep you safe from harm



As you read this, know that I am "home" in England, the place that makes me happier than anywhere else on Earth. Surely I was born there in another life? It so happens that my trip coincides with the release of Laura Marling's second album, I Speak Because I Can.

Marling, who is only twenty years old, has one of the finest voices I've heard in years. Her music is classified as folk, but laced with strong melodies and production touches that make it accessible in the same way Mumford And Sons' Sigh No More has reached a larger audience. She reminds me a bit of Patrick Wolf in his Wind In The Wires period, when the star-maker machinery had not rendered him tiresome and reckless. For those of you old enough to get the reference, the song below reminds me a great deal of Peter Case, especially songs from his debut album back in the 80's.

Laura Marling Goodbye England (Covered In Snow):



Laura Marling
Devil's Spoke video

Listening to Marling makes me want to go to Cornwall. Someday. This is the kind of music you want to sit in a field somewhere and just MELT DOWN. I want nothing more than that. Have a good cry, get up and carry on with my life.

2 comments:

Jason said...

I recently discovered Marling as I too have been consumed with Mumford & Sons, Noah & the Whale's second album and other such "folky" music. It's been a great break from all the pop. :)

Paul said...

hurrah. you are in Angleterre. I feel closer to you already!!