March 26, 2010

FREE MP3: Penguin Prison's best song yet



"I got a car that I call Jenny / I take her out when there’s too much noise in my head." It's hard not love a song with a chorus like that.

Penguin Prison has nailed it again. Recorded with Alex Frankel from the band Holy Ghost, The Worse It Gets is a kicky warm-weather anthem that Penguin Prison described to me as "a bit of Hall & Oates / Doobie Brothers, but somehow cool, if that makes sense." It does. This is a pure, melodic pop tune, but it still sounds like a cool intersection of pop and indie and it's available for free now...

Penguin Prison The Worse It Gets FREE MP3

The Worse It Gets is also for sale as a limited edition vinyl 7" single on Neon Gold Records. It's backed with the excellent Something I'm Not. Earlier single A Funny Thing is still available as well.

If you live in New York, you can see Penguin Prison live on April 8 at the Mercury Lounge. Tickets here.

6 comments:

Paul said...

I haven't actually gotten around to listening to any of Kris' music yet, but this is rather good so that's my loss. Any other recommendations from him?

xolondon said...

Chris! You might like Something I'm Not too (a bit more of a grower, that one).

DanProject76 said...

Mister Bright Lights has remixed it, as he often does! It's on his blog.

pdb73 said...

Your music tastes are so similiar to mine that's its getting expensive! I end up buying most of the vinyl of the artists that you blog about. But as my wallet sighs, my turntable delights : )

This guys music is great. Neon Gold seems to have some interesting artists on their books.

xolondon said...

Neon Gold is amazing! Are you on LastFM, pdb73?

pdb73 said...

No, i'm not. I actually don't listen to radio over the 'net and rarely download. I'm pretty much old school (vinyl and car radio for me - but keep that on the down low haha).