January 21, 2010

Goldfrapp never does anything wrong.



Goldrapp returns with a happy, up song. Total summer radio fodder. To my ears, it's what happens when you mash up Christopher Cross's All Right with something like, as others have said, Van Halen.

And the artwork? Can you imagine Alison's brief to the artist? "I'm thinking Xanadu, The Cars, Dr Who, jumpsuits, laser beams, the great American highways... and that American Idol creature, Adam."

F*%k WWII, the 80's kids are The Greatest Generation.

8 comments:

countpopula said...

This is an EXCELLENT return, especially for those who found Seventh Tree a bit quiet. GREAT artwork--I IMMEDIATELY thought Xanadu as well, all the glowy bits & such.

zen~ said...

Dynamite with a laser beam; guaranteed to blow your mind!

I love it. The soft production and the new slant are welcome (truth be told: I was a big fan of 7th Tree, so no complaints there).

Paul said...

Loving the cover, the song's growing on me too...

Yuяi said...

Loving everything about this, from cover to the 80s pop synths. Can't wait for the album...

zen~ said...

Thank goodness for Aussie iTunes making it available already. I feel that this lead-in single for the album is much like "Ooh La La" was for "Supernatural"...catchy, but the best is yet to come!

Jason said...

I'm trying so hard to like this, but the backing track just screams "bad Laura Branigan" to me. I'm hoping the album's better than the lead single.

Aaron said...

It's a rather gorgeous cover - That's for sure!

Just heard the new snippet on iTunes - Very synthy catchy!

zen~ said...

I find it's one of those 'clever' songs, in that the lyrics are a lot more sinister than the cheery synths/background. I love that Alison sings about an uninvited guest and then sending someone off on a rocket and they're never coming back! Love it.