December 7, 2009

Soldier Of Love out NOW



24 years after the epic Promise album was released, I have aged, while 50-yr old Sade has remained the same goddess she's always been. The artwork for this project befits her status as a sort of Egyptian Queen of Pop Music. Or Nigerian, to be precise. From today's press release:
Sade co-produced the single 'Soldier Of Love' with Mike Pela and it was written by Sade along with longtime collaborators Andrew Hale, Stuart Matthewman and Paul Spencer Denman. The track, featuring a pulsating and anthemic drum beat along with the haunting vocals that Sade is known for, is set to hit airwaves on 8th December.
How will we sleep tonight?

Update:

I'm at the borderline of my faith /I'm at the hinterland of my devotion / In the frontline of this battle of mine / But I'm still alive... I'm a soldier of love.

The lyrics are, as always, very succinct. The first time I heard it, her voice took me by surprise. It seemed much deeper. Then it becomes more clearly Sade, set to a beat that's martial (think Kate Bush's Experiment IV), but languid enough that it threatens to go reggae. Thank God it never does. The song cannot be referenced to any previous Sade track - it is unique - but the use of the guitar reminds me of No Ordinary Love.

Sounds like a sex song to me..

Sade Soldier Of Love (WM stream)
Sade Soldier Of Love (QT stream)

9 comments:

Howard said...

Damn she looks great! She looks as good, and maybe even better than 20 years ago. I think I hate her. LOL

xolondon said...

Just put on some slap and some bangles, Howard, and you'll be JUST AS TIMELESS!

countpopula said...

Holy. Shit.

Brad said...

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the track. Thank you, as always, for keeping me posted on the most glorious pop happenings :)

John said...

Stunning track. Stunning visual. But we expect nothing less.

davidlim said...

Dad is a huge Sade fan... I was brought up with regular late night drives to 'Smooth Operator'. Can't wait to hear her now...

Matt said...

Damn, when the vocal started, I thought "who's that guy? Backing vocalist?" her voice is DEEP. Love the strangeness of it. String stabs, military beat. Timless.

and that photo has to be old. How can she keep looking so damn good?!?! Madonna needs to have a pow-wow.

Michael said...

It makes me want to march while having sex. Plus any song that uses the word Hinterlands is innately amazing.

xolondon said...

Michael, I usually march while having sex and it's the BEST. I suppose most people are too vanilla though...