November 1, 2009

The Songs I Cannot Live Without, #3



Heather Nova's London Rain was released in 1998, the single from her second studio album Siren. Nova is actually Bermudian, but did a lot of her schooling in the United States and lived in London during most of her recording career. The Siren album, on major label Sony, has great producers like Jon (Beautiful South) Kelly and Youth and the strings were done by the amazing Anne Dudley, who'd worked with Pet Shop Boys, FGTH and Llloyd Cole, among many. The album was successful enough to get her a spot on the (in)famous Lilith Fair tour, but it should be noted that her success predates people like Alanis and Sheryl Crow. Heather still releases music and lives again in Bermuda with her partner and her 5 year old son.

I write this post on November 1, and it's grey, chilly and wet outside. Weather that brings out a nesting instinct. London Rain is, for me, a fantasy song, about returning on a day like this to find your lover waiting with a warm drink... and a warm bed. Some might dismiss that as chicklit set to music, but who - male or female - would argue with the potential reality of it? The lyrics...

I'm coming, I'm coming home to you
I'm alive, I'm a mess
I can't wait to get home to you
To get warm, warm and undressed

There've been changes beyond my dreams
Everybody wants me to sing
There've been changes beyond my grasp
Things I'm sinking in

So keep me keep me
In your bed all day all day
Nothing heals me like you do
Nothing heals me like you do

And when somebody knows you well
Well there's no comfort like that
And when somebody needs you
Well there's no drug Iike that

So keep me, keep me
In your bed all day, all day
Nothing heals me like you do
Keep me keep me
In your bed all day, all day
Nothing heals me like you do

And where I'm home, curled in your arms
And I'm safe again
I'll close my eyes and sleep, sleep
To the sound of London Rain

So keep me, keep me
In your bed all day, all day
Nothing heals me like you do
Keep me keep me
In your bed all day, all day
Nothing heals me like you do
Nothing heals me like you do

Nothing falls like London rain
Nothing heals me like you do
_______________________________

As for you seeing, hearing the song, thank you Sony for disabling embedding on the video... you stupid old men.

Watch/hear London Rain here

I should note that in today's music business, there would be no place for someone like Heather Nova. She was allowed for many years to develop her style without ever having a "mega" hit. She sold well enough to finance each project. Today's record label "suits," who have probably been pulled from finance rather than music backgrounds, would say something withering before deleting her demos from their desktop. You can guess whose side I am on.

2 comments:

DanProject76 said...

Oh yeah, from when I actually lived in London with its rain. The reality was not so lovely as this great song.

countpopula said...

I actually met Heather in 95 when she toured Oyster in the US. Very nice young lady, and quite shy at that point. I have a friend who still absolutely adores her along with Sarah McLachlan. Will they both be at Lilith Fair again next year? Wishful thinking...