November 24, 2009

RED ALERT: Sade's Soldier of Love



February 8, 2010. Pre-order.

AMAZING

XO's Top 10 Plus One Favorite Sade Songs

Is It A Crime
The Sweetest Taboo
War Of The Hearts
Maureen
Your Love Is King
Never As Good As The First Time (extended 5:00 mix)
Haunt Me
No Ordinary Love
King Of Sorrow
You're Not The Man
By Your Side

Clearly, the album Promise dominates. That is one of my desert islands discs - it is perfect. Is It A Crime is my favorite song, primarily for the imagery ("wider than Victoria Lake, taller than the Empire State") and the careening vocal. Her best video is, interestingly, the last she's release, in Spring 2001, for King Of Sorrow. It was shot by Sophie Muller in San Juan - and she has never been so beautiful.


16 comments:

xolondon said...

THANKS to Countpopula!

Howard said...

How exciting! I was going to feature her on my blog, but had no idea she was going to release a new one. Can't wait to hear it.

Dan said...

Thank goodness she's releasing a new album! I thought we might have heard everything we were going to hear from her.

Here's hoping there are no Donny Osmond covers. ;)

Talia said...

I know NOTHING about Sade, but that cover is hot!

monkeydrum said...

That is an amazing album cover!

countpopula said...

Your welcome XO. And to think, I almost beat Perez Hilton to the scoop.

Talia, there is no excuse. Buy yourself a copy of Best of Sade, at least--you will not regret it, even though she has many more wonderful songs that weren't hits. She has sold 17 million albums in the US alone. Nobody else does a slow burn like that.

xolondon said...

Talia, do what Count says!! I'd buy Promise and sing it in the shower. I know you are a singer babe!

Howard said...

Is It A Crime is my favorite song as well. Just effin' brilliant.

countpopula said...

Just saw your great list too (ditto on Is It a Crime)--my must add: Pearls from Love Deluxe. What a heartbreaker that is.

Zbyszek said...

Oh.My.God.

Phil said...

Glad to see the back of her.

On the cover, I mean! She hasn't changed a bit. Still smoking those reefers probably, having a packet of Oreos and then languidly knocking one out. An album, I mean!

Can't wait.

Phil said...

Oh! And Diamond Life. Still my favourite. Frankie!

Karin said...

I'm so happy about the new album! (and about the fact that I finally found a blog that has the same musical taste as me, or at least almost... !)
Anyway, that video always makes me cry...

xolondon said...

The thing is, Karin, we're pretty much guaranteed something brilliant and emotional and cool with Sade, aren't we? And I like that it's being released in early Feb, a time when there is usually very little new music coming out.

countpopula said...

I'm sure the record label wants to bring it out the week before Valentine's Day for Maximum Love Potential.

Karin said...

Haha "Maximum Love Potential" I can see that graph in the marketing peoples' Excel-sheets... ;)