November 19, 2009

Decade's end: The Year 2004


Early morning view from my room in Shanghai.

2004. Brilliant year! This blog is born! Back in London! Good year.

My favorite song was, without a doubt, Keane's swoony epic, Your Eyes Open, which reminded me of Ultravox and hits like Reap The Wild Wind. This was the return of the romantic male singing voice after years in the growling butch wilderness. My other favorite song was unlikely: Nancy Sinatra's performance of a song Morrissey wrote for her, Let Me Kiss You. Because melancholy is the best.

XO's Favorite Songs of 2004

Keane Your Eyes Open
John Frusciante Carvel
Rufus Wainwright Waiting For A Dream
Morrissey My Life Is A Succession of People Saying Goodbye
The Killers All These Things That I’ve Done
Delays Wanderlust
The Divine Comedy Our Mutual Friend
Bjork Who Is It
Kylie Minogue I Believe In You
Nancy Sinatra Let Me Kiss You
Finn Brothers Gentle Hum
The Honeymoon Come Undone
Kings Of Convenience Gold In The Air Of Summer
George Michael Precious Box
Girls Aloud The Show
Gwen Stefani What You Waiting For
Kelis Marathon

I had two favorite albums, both new bands, but only one survived. Hopes And Fears by Keane and Dialog by the now-defunct The Honeymoon. The biggest surprise in 2004 was the unbelievably perfect return of Morrissey, who not only nailed his album, You Are The Quarry, but also most of the 12 b-sides.

As I said, 2004 was the first year of this blog. Here are my Best of 2004 posts, where you'll see a slight variation on the list above - my opinion has changed with time - and more description.

9 comments:

countpopula said...

VERY interesting list. I'm totally down on that Killers song, that Gwen song, and especially that grand dame of a Divine Comedy song. I probably would have chosen Bjork's Triumph of a Heart over Who is it, but both are good. Oceania was quite nice as well.

God willing Kylie could come up with something as wonderful as I Believe in You with the Scissor Sisters again.

Love the photo of Shanghai. Reminded me of the cover of St. Etienne's Finisterre movie a bit--how weirdly similar London and Shanghai appear when shrouded in fog...

oaneto said...

Great list. Thanks for sharing. I found your blog while searching for something.

Since its relevant here and you might find it fun/useful. I also wanted to give a plug for a site Ive been working on that helps people share songs with their friends.

http://www.myradeo.com Its free, easy and there's no account signup. Login with Facebook. Check it out if you get a chance. Hope you like it. Thanks!

Paul said...

All These Things That I've Done not only remains my favourite Killers song but also one of my favourite songs of the decade. 2004 was the year i discovered the music of The Killers, Keane, Maroon 5, BWO and the Scissor Sisters. A good year indeed :) I didn't discover you til 2005 though :(

DanProject76 said...

I haven't played that Honeymoon album for years! Without looking I know it has a blue spine. Spooky taste overlap!

billcsistunedon said...

Couldn't agree with you more about Keane and Tom Chaplin's voice, except for me it was Somewhere Only We Know and She Has No Time.

Nice to see George Michael in there too, his finest work in years - Amazing, Flawless (that video!) and Precious Box.

All These Things That I've Done was my favourite Killers song till A Dustland Fairytale came along.

Mr. Will-W. said...

yes. Gwen at her best!

love the gorgeous skyline photo.

D'luv said...

Um, hello?!?!? O-Zone, "Dragostea din tei"

xolondon said...

Huh?

D'luv said...

What do you mean, 'huh?' It's only the best song of 2004, if not EVER. (+ was interpolated in T.I. & Rihanna's 'Live Your Life' last year)