October 20, 2009

Decade's end: The Year 2000

"Let's all meet up in the year 2000 / Won't it be strange when we're all fully grown?"

Remember that line from Pulp's Disco 2000? I loved that song, actually from 1995, because it was so true to life when we were young. We all used to calculate how old we'd be in the year 2000 and what our lives would be like. For most of us, it did not end up as we'd expected and that's fine.

You may not have noticed the decade is ending. This is the first in a series of posts on my favorite songs from each year of the "oughties" - a silly name I never called this decade. Starting with 2000 - remember the Y2k? - and working forward to 2009, I've done a mix-length list for each year.

2000 was loaded. I finished grad school and became a "professional." They shipped me off to China almost immediately (hmmm?), where I remember being alone and awake at 3am in a hotel room in Hong Kong, seeing/hearing Kylie's Spinning Around for the very first time. A month later, I was in England and Wales for a family reunion, traveling solo for parts of the trip. It was then, in Londinium, that I bought Coldplay's Yellow, having never heard them. Look at Chris in that video, like a baby, pre-millions and movie stars. During that trip I also became obsessed with Samantha Mumba's Gotta Tell You. Poor Samantha, she fell off the face of the pop earth.

The first track listed below (Ashcroft) is my favorite song of that year (I've written frankly - and vaguely! - about it before). The rest are in no order...

XO's Top Songs of 2000

Richard Ashcroft A Song For The Lovers
Shack Comedy
Travis Driftwood
Coldplay Yellow
David Gray Babylon
Sade King Of Sorrow
PJ Harvey Good Fortune
Samantha Mumba Gotta Tell You
N'Sync Bye Bye Bye
Craig David Walking Away
All Saints Pure Shores
Kylie Minogue Spinning Around
Madonna What It Feels Like For A Girl
George Michael First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
a-ha Summer Moved On
Ronan Keating Life Is A Rollercoaster
Craid David Booty Man
Kirsty MacColl In These Shoes
David Gray Please Forgive Me

What did I forget?

XO in mainland China, summer 2000...


countpopula said...

I can't wait to read more of these! The biggest revelation for me here was the fact that Kylie has had an entire reinvention of a career, survived cancer, and returned to the spotlight in the time since the last Sade album.

Nice pic!

Tatoonie said...

nice pic!!!
great list btw....some of these songs do take me back...I'm going to iTunes to get this list btw...:)

would love to read more of these to.:)

xolondon said...

My long suffering roommate saw me pull that pic out last night and she said "Ha! Look how YOUNG you look!" Thanks, dear.

So I had to bonk her on the noggin and stuff her under the floorboards!

Sam said...

it's funny how many of these songs i knew/loved from heavy rotation on MTV2: p.j. harvey, richard ashcroft, travis...

what i would have added at the time and i still feel good about:

didn't cha know - erykah badu
B.O.B - outkast
optimistic - radiohead
basement apartment - sarah harmer
son of sam - elliott smith
change - deftones
i'm like a bird - nelly furtado
untitled - d'angelo
home now - no doubt

xolondon said...

Sam, one of my colleagues asked me to send her the video for Untitled last week. Minx.

You remind me there is some great Badu song about a handbag. Do you know that one?

I think I may have been to your house in 2000!? And found a TICK on your cute Scottie! That was the period where I had, literally, a stalker - it did a serious number on my sanity for about 2 mos. Good times, good times!

D'luv said...

Oooh, we had similar tastes in '00!

Sam said...

haha it's about a bag lady. it's called bag lady. that whole album is pretty awesome.

dude, i'm surprised you only found one tick on the dog. riley didn't make it through the decade, may he rest in peace.

Thomas Godshalk said...

So glad to see PJ Harvey on your list! I love "Good Fortune", it's one of my favorite songs from this decade, which, you are correct, I did not realize was ending. I'm still getting over the shock that it isn't 2008 anymore.

Dave said...

Such a good choice in 'Please Forgive Me' - David Gray is written off easily but his first two albums of this decade are fine pieces of work. And that song is really somewhat of a masterpiece - the lingering keyboard notes, or synths, or whatever they are, are so special, and then when that shuffling beat comes in... Ahh. It gets me.

xolondon said...

Thomas - I also still play a few others from that CD - We Float and the AMAZING You Said Something. I really wish she'd make another commercial album again. She has the power, she just chooses to be more subtle. And Polly looked hot in the album pics. She worked it.

Dave, I wish David would kind of explore the electronic edge again. Really elegant. He should work with someone new like Starsmith, who seems to be able to deal with guitars. I could have put so many songs on that list - I have a GREAT memory of Babylon finally hitting me (on the coast of Wales) and then This Year's Love shuts me down...

Talia said...

Gah you are so organised. I can barely do this for a year just gone, never mind a whole decade.

Hurrah for All Saints. Lolz for Ronan.

If only America had spotify...

xolondon said...

I cut, pasted and edited that from a 3 CD mix! I'm not a librarian for nothing. (is that why I am single, heh heh?).

I love that early Ronan, geekily. Rollercoaster, When You Say... and Heal Me.

Cathrin said...

awww, sweet picture! and great choice of songs. brings back lots of personal memories. i might even cry a bit now, seriously. great post! ps: germany also doesn't have spotify. sad. :(

Thomas Godshalk said...

Ditto on "You Said Something"...gets me every time!

Martin said...

A very excellent list -- God, how much I love "Pure Shores." I'd add Kylie's "Paper Dolls" (in the running for my favorite B-side of the decade), Bent's "Always," Moloko's "The Time Is Now" and The 6ths' "Kissing Things."

But aren't those _White Ladder_ tracks from '99?

monkeydrum said...

That's a great list! I'd include several of those songs on my own list (including 'Rollercoaster'). I visited London for the first time in September of 2000 and heard lots of great music including the following:
Sophie Ellis Bextor/Spiller -Groovejet
All Saints - Black Coffee
Cousteau - Last Good Day Of The Year
Robbie Williams - Rock DJ
Mel C - I Turn To You
Richard Ashcroft - C'mon People We're Making It Now
Lene Marlin - Unforgivable Sinner

billcsistunedon said...

Two of your favourites from 2000 will be in my Top 300 of the decade. Interesting selections as always.

xolondon said...

Monkeydrum I love that Ashcroft - it reminds me of Fleetwood Mac.

Which songs Bill!?

billcsistunedon said...

Ashcroft and Travis :)