October 16, 2009

Aviv Geffen, from Tel Aviv to Belsize Park

An October surprise: A totally new artist who does polished, lush pop. His name is Aviv Geffen and he's from Israel, where he's already been a huge star since the 90s. Trevor Horn and Ken Nelson (Coldplay) are among the producers who've worked on his first English language album, titled Aviv Geffen naturally, which has been two years in the making.

Musically and vocally he reminds me of a variety of people
. It Was Meant To Be A Love Song veers between Jay Jay Johanson and Depeche Mode, Black And White and Silence remind me of Martin Rossiter from Gene, and the free song below, It's Alright, is a more obscure reference, reminding me of The Honeymoon's superb first and last album Dialog.

For a bit more on Aviv, check out this Times piece, which is where I discovered him. I love how they describe as combination of Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Maximilian Schell and... Fonzie!

Download It's Alright by Aviv Geffen

Note that there are some solid remixes of that song (The Thrillers mix among them) on iTunes US and UK. Don't get me wrong, this is very commercial pop, but it's good - shimmery and romantic. The album is due out on October 19.

Aviv Geffen It's Alright:

Aviv Geffen It Was Meant To Be A Love Song:

If you live in London, Aviv a will be at The Borderlone on November 15.


xolondon said...

PS the It's Alright video is complete Ass. It's like an Abercrombie commercial. Record labels are so transparent these days.

DanProject76 said...

I agree, I watched the dark video first, enjoyed it, then watched the cheesey one and lost interest!

djethell said...

Got to agree; it's great to hear an up-lifting track from Aviv but the video is so drab. I don't think anyone sat down at the drawing board for more than a few seconds. The video for Black and White (the car-crash one) is amazing, so I don't know what went wrong with Alright.
I saw him perform at his launch party this month in London and his performance brought tears to my eyes. Perfect star!