September 22, 2009

Paloma Faith: Grandeur is a underrated virtue



I wanted the truth AND I wanted something beautiful. Paloma Faith delivers both. Her debut album is released September 28, but you can stream it now in the player above. When I first heard Stone Cold Sober, I immediate wrote her off as "post-Winehouse." And then I heard the literally majestic New York (watch it here). That track is just a touch on her debut: I cannot think of a more ambitious, expensive sounding album. It sounds like it was recorded by an army dressed in tulle and ribbons...

A hastily composed track-by-track:

Stone Cold Sober is still not my favorite, but I do like the long, heavy intro. Hope it's on the CD.

Smoke And Mirrors has a big glittery bauble of a chorus. The show's over, the audience is walking out...

Broken Doll - tinkly pianos, strings and girl backup singers. This one is hard to pin down.

Do You Want The Truth Or Something Beautiful is more vocal/lyric focused until a massive instrumental middle eight that sounds like the Blue Angels (jets) overhead.

Upside Down like speakeasy music. Uber retro - and perhaps vocally the most Winehouse.

Romance Is Dead's chorus reminds me of something I can't pinpoint. Anyone else know?

New York is dominated by this: 2:12 to 2:43. That's what sold me on Paloma.

Stargazer is a lush watery midtempo recalls the late, great Lamya on the verses and Michael Jackson at his most romantic on the chorus. My early favorite.

My Legs Are Weak is an elegant old soul ballad

Play On, the finale, is all about the blaring chorus. You'll know what I mean when you hear it - a great effect.



Further reading: Don't Stop The Pop covers Paloma live at The Scala in London.

11 comments:

Tatoonie said...

I love this.
I love this.
I love this.

did I mention I love this!!!!
xxx

xolondon said...

Hi Tatoonie! Isn't it epic? My faves right now are Stargazer, Play On and Smoke And Mirros. I sense that will change over time.

John said...

"Stone Cold Sober" caught my attention, but "New York" let me know she means business. She really has the potential to be the whole package. Now let's see if the industry gives her the opportunity to do so.

countpopula said...

Winehouse has been put on notice. I can't see any reason why New York should not be a hit in the US either. As the album progresses, I also hear a bit of Sia Furler in the voice, albeit a more commercial version. Amy, where are you...Duffy has already had a shot...they are lining up now. Noisettes was just released stateside today as well. Surely they can get one or two hits from that here.

Paul said...

It's definitely you and Bobpops that have turned me on. Er, to Paloma. I wasn't blown away by Stone Cold Sober but the album seems wonderful. You are right - Stargazing is quite quite marvelous.

Poster Girl said...

How weird is it that "Stargazer" is apparently written by Jörgen Elofsson, a.k.a. the prolific (read: some gems and a lot of dreck, too) Swedish songwriter of Cheiron's teen pop and fifty million Idol ballads ("A Moment Like This," "That's My Goal," etc.)? Really lovely, though (I'm glad Paloma is the one singing it).

xolondon said...

I wondered who wrote that! The chorus is sort of Disney Theme-ish

D'luv said...

Even if Paloma finds only half the success Lorraine did in the U.K., I'll be happy.

xolondon said...

She already has! I assume she has sold more than 30 records thus far...

Ken said...

I absolutely am craving for her album NOW!!!!

countpopula said...

Just wanted to let you know that I just got this CD. Wow. What a debut! Absolutely amazing from beginning to end. Again, look out Amy...