September 9, 2009

Dragonette: We're going places you never dreamed about

Dragonette Pick Up the Phone



As a big fan of Dragonette's debut album, Galore, I have to admit a sense of disappointment at their recent singles Fixin' To Thrill - it didn't - and the other one with the country video, Gone Too Far. But a Man In The Know alerted me at the time that there was much I'd love on their new album. He was right: Pick Up The Phone is sublime (and actually superior to the mellow remix that leaked this summer).

The video has great lighting and color effects and a few moments that remind me of early Madonna videos, with Martine running around having a laugh. She's cut from the same effortlessly cool cloth as Deborah Harry and Pat Benatar: confident, a little bit insouciant, and beautiful without using that beauty as a crutch. It's only the smart boys who realize some of the tomboys were actually the hottest girls. And Martine has great style - look at her feet in this clip. To quote Prince, "Isn't life a little better with a pair of good shoes?"

If you don't already know Dragonette, their 2007 album is on iTunes. Favorite tracks: Competition, Take It Like A Man, I Get Around and the ballad that belatedly nailed me in 2008, Another Day.

4 comments:

Paul said...

It's rather good isn't it? I'm quite excited about the album now! I take it that other song they did with Martin someone or the other wasn't a proper single for them?

DanProject76 said...

I loved the mellower remix from a while back but this is equally as great.

That's me buying the album now.

Poster Girl said...

I don't know how, but I'd somehow got it into my head Dragonette were a lot more aggressive, hard electro, and clashy in sound; this isn't like that at all, nor are "Competition" and "Another Day," and they're all beautiful, great songs. Several years too late, but I may have to go buy that album from iTunes...and get excited about this new release.

xolondon said...

Poster Girl! She speaks! It's what I'd call assertive pop, but totally pop. Really great record. And the CD has a pleasingly shiny booklet.