September 30, 2009

2009: Q3 - Summer Part II

Here, in no order, are my Top Songs for the third quarter of 2009. A few rules: There are none. I used to have many rules, but what good did they come to? This is free love. This is like all the things you can fit inside a memory.

Natalie Imbruglia
Want video
Editors Papillon video
Imogen Heap Wait It Out hear it
Dragonette Pick Up The Phone video
Calvin Harris Flashback
Bananarama Love Comes video
Sugababes About A Girl (Keisha Mix) hear it
Fibes Oh Fibes! with Kim Wilde Run To You myspace
Maxwell Help Somebody hear it
MPHO Box'n'Locks video
Paloma Faith New York video
The Mummers Tale To Tell
Florence & The Machine Drumming Song video
Beverly Knight Turned To Stone
A Fine Frenzy Stood Up hear it
Prefab Sprout Ride hear it
Florence & The Machine Swimming hear it
Frankmusik Vacant Heart hear it

What are your favorites? What did I forget?

Worthy albums this summer: Paloma Faith, A Fine Frenzy, Dan Arborise, Dan Black, Florence And The Machine, Frankmusik, Maxwell, Prefab Sprout.

What's coming: Dragonette, MPHO, Robbie Williams, Mr Hudson, Sugababes (?!), Cheryl Cole, Editors, Annie, Erik Hassle, Spandau Ballet

Not Quite What I'd Hoped For: Imogen Heap

photo by Hedi Slimane


Shane Percy said...

Maybe "Perfect" by Depeche? It's the new single. SHOULD have been the second single....messed everything up! Anyway, great song and remixes are fairly tolerable.


countpopula said...

Great list--your lists always help me put things in perspective as well. Songs for me would also include "Love in July" by Sally Shapiro and "Raindrops" by Basement Jaxx, while albums would include La Roux and the Gossip (which are, ironically, being released right now in the US). I would maybe add Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Prefab Sprout, and A-Ha albums too.

I would tend to agree about the Imogen Heap album. I play it, yet I don't feel very attached to it the way her last and the Frou Frou haunted me. The new Zero 7 leaves me cold, and while I love the Phoenix singles, the album is a bit overrated. Big ups to Dragonette and Mummers making your lists!

Paul said...

I suppose for me the song of the summer was Benny Andersson Band's Story Of A Heart - sheer perfection from start to finish and I still can't stop listening to it today.

xolondon said...

How did I forget Prefab?

Vinny Vero said...

Once again, our tastes are quite similar. That Editors single is killing me. So good.

@coutpopula - Definitely "Love In July" and "Raindrops"! Two of my faves this year.

@Paul - Don'tcha just LOVE "Story Of A Heart". Would it really have killed them to have had at least ONE ABBA lady sing on it?

DanProject76 said...

Lots of crossover with my list, you're a good influence:

Theoretical Girl: Rivals
Miles Fisher: This Must Be The Place
Bananarama: Love Comes
Thomas J Speight: This House
Paloma Faith: Stone Cold Sober
Rose Elinor Dougall: Start/Stop/Synchro
Alphabeat: The Spell
Fibes Oh Fibes! with Kim Wilde: Run To You
Music Go Music : Light of Love
Beverley Knight: Turned To Stone
Wild Beasts: Hooting and Howling
Dragonette: Pick Up The Phone

Tim said...

SUGARBABES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i once thought i was alone in my love for sugarbabes...

Michael said...

Do you like the xx at all?

xolondon said...

Tim, everybody likes the Babes. Or did! Drop the R from their name!

Michael, I don't know anything about them yet...

Ken said...

I say Alphabeat's 'The Spell' as well. And show some love for La Lott you guys. LOL.

D'luv said...

Owl City - "Fireflies"
Shakira - "She Wolf"
Sally Shapiro - "Miracle"

xolondon said...

The Shakira is a perfect pop song. Genius.

I can't get over the autotune in Owl City. He sounds like a good singer songwriter that a label messed with too much.

Paul said...

@Vinny - just epic. It would have been massive if they could at least have got Agnetha to sing it. Ah well. What could have been...

Yuяi said...

I'd have to throw my .02 in for "The Spell" too. Still a very comprehensive list. Nice work, XO.