August 24, 2009

Antony: How your love can do what no on else can

Antony And The Johnsons Crazy In Love:

They say that a great song can be just as great with other arrangements. Indeed. This is beautiful. I subconsciously avoided it for awhile, but now I cannot stop playing it. Antony has been playing it live for a long time, but the studio version is just taking off as a single.

I admire how fearless Antony is. He took all of these things that might have marginalized a weaker person and put them together into something extraordinary and - amazingly, in these cynical times - people understood. My favorite song by him is, by far, Cripple And The Starfish
. The lyric waffles between sensual and totally whack.

The official video for Crazy (below) is quite arty, so I just to prefer to sit quietly and let the sound wash over me.


laurent said...

Sometimes people look down on a pop song for obvious (yet unfair) reasons and it takes a cover or stripped down version like this one to make you realise how beautiful it was meant to be.
Arrangements are everything aren't they...

I prefer the live version which i heard first (especially the raw vocals without double tracking, reverb effect or whatever that is they used).

I hadn't seen the video, thanks for posting it.
It's quite haunting and reminds me of my favorite Bjork's concert in Paris for the Vespertine tour.

DanProject76 said...

It's just very "wow."

Annoyed it wasn't on the album now!