July 13, 2009

C'mon angel, let's exchange the experience

MPHO covers Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill



The proof in the pudding that MPHO (that's Mm-poh) is not just another video blogger "star." This is one of the best covers of Running that I've heard (my other fave is Claudia Brucken's with Andrew Poppy). MPHO has talent and taste, which was already evident from her ebullient - that's the best word for it - debut single below.

MPHO Box N Locks



I said on my Twitter tonight that this is becoming a magical year for music. It didn't start that way but summer often brings amazing surprises. For more coverage of MPHO, see ArjanWrites and MuuMuse.

6 comments:

Michael said...

Nice cover. Box N Locks is a great song; I'm looking forward to hearing more from her.

countpopula said...

I have to agree about music this year. Maybe the crashing economies are finally making people try harder, while some of the big reliable guns have rested on their laurels a bit.

This is really great! The only reason I didn't listen before was that I think I was getting her confused with LMFAO. Her Running up That Hill IS one of the best covers I have heard of the song, and that is saying something, as many times as it has been covered. I also liked the Noisettes' cover of the Killers' "When You Were Young". Now I'm checking out VV Brown, and that seems very good as well! I love that soul and rock are beginning to blend more again.

Brad said...

I must admit, I didn't see this coming. SUCH a pleasant surprise!

MPHO is consistently proving to me that she knows her pop history well. It's a nice thing :)

daavid said...

I dunno, I'm not too crazy about it. It's certainly very well done and all, but I think it's a bit boring. I think my fav "Running Up The Hill Cover is the Chromatics one. "Box n' Locks is amazing though.

Daft Monk said...

Hadn't given her a listen before and the single is fantastic.

John said...

Beautiful version. Wouldn't it be great if it caught fire like Maxwell's version of "This Woman's Work" did?