June 19, 2009

Quote of the Week, Elly Jackson: Does my voice bother you?


This is what a fantastic album cover looks like
And then there's I'm Not Your Toy, which is out after Bulletproof," she adds, "which is much much happier and much brighter and maybe a little easier on the ear for people that couldn't quite grasp In For The Kill, because I know for a lot of people the vocals are quite shrill.

-Elly Jackson of La Roux, to the BBC
Meanwhile, 8/1 has this bit of an interview with Patrick Wolf about the success of La Roux:

I’m not shocked... the week I was dropped they signed her, and all the money that had been going into me was going into her. The same photographers and styling team. It was like they took Patrick Wolf and put it into a girl. She’s lovely and she’s a great singer with good songs but, where I’m from, it’s not challenging. If people are taking from the past then they have to be futuristic with it. It’s easier for them to go straight to doo-wop or 80s templates and regurgitate.
I thought Patrick walked away from his label, so I am not sure why he cares. Regardless, Elly is deep inside the starmaker machinery and will probably do well. The album clips sound more varied than her first two singles, though not, as Patrick points out, groundbreaking.

If you like LaRoux's sound, do yourself a favor and get the first two Missing Persons LPs- especially their second disc, Rhyme & Reason. I have that one framed on my wall! Gwen Stefani has been inspired by lead singer Dale Bozzio for years...

7 comments:

countpopula said...

Let's not forget that Lady Gaga's entire wardrobe is also mix of Dale Bozzio and Grace Jones, right?

D'luv said...

Missing Who?

LA ROUX FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND LADY GAGA, TOO!!!!!!

zen~ said...

I still reckon: In For The Shrill!

Robpop said...

Lets not forget that Elly has a mother who just happens to be from a long-running british-based famous TV series.

James Derek said...

I cannot wait for this album. CANNOT. WAIT.

will said...

At least she acknowledges it. It's slowly growing on me, but I just still can't get over the voice.

jsd said...

Missing Persons - Spring Session M. Hardly a week goes by that I don't pull that one out. Brilliant!