June 29, 2009

Imogen Heap Returns with Ellipse

It's been 7 years since Imogen Heap hijacked my list of favorite artists with Frou Frou's lush debut Details. I was nervous when she released Speak For Yourself in 2005 because she was without her collaborator, Guy Sigsworth. Little did I know until I heard that album that it's Imogen's style that dominates Frou Frou. Speak For Yourself became one of my favorite albums of 20o5 (a year with a 4-way tie: Madonna, Goldfrappp, Rachel Stevens and Immi). And now, four years later, we have Ellipse. Fans have heard bits and pieces of the record as she's made it, but no proper songs. Because she is a one-woman show, this album has been under her own lock and key, literally, in her house.

Obviously, you won't be able to miss it if you follow this blog, but if you don't know Imogen's last two albums, here is a list of what I consider the standout tracks:

Frou Frou's Details: Let Go, It's Good To Be In Love, Shhh, I Must Be Dreaming (my fave), The Dumbing Down Of Love

Immi's Speak For Yourself (review): Goodnight And Go, The Walk, Hide And Seek (many will say this song is her lasting legacy to pop music), Have You Got It In You, Just For Now, Closing In, The Moment I Said It


Ellipse is out on August 24/25.

1 comment:

Adem With An E said...

Seems to be a 2005 kind of day, I've been crushing on Rachel, Goldfrapp and Imogen releases from that year all day.

VERY excited for this album.