May 22, 2009

My heart's skipping, skipping and I don't know why



Why is this album called Hands? It's all very "they're not yours, they are my own" isn't it? Anyway, back to LB: the album was recorded in LA with Greg Kurstin, who just had a big hit with Lily Allen's record. It has a poppy sheen from the few songs I've heard. AND it has the presence of Human League's Phil Oakey on Symmetry. Interestingly, the American EP (out in June) contains a fantastic single-worthy exclusive track called Not Now. US peoples can read my review of that in the June Instinct.

Is she worthy of the hype (and now, if you read PopJustice Forums, the backlash)?

7 comments:

John said...

Argh...my IT folks are on to me. The widget doesn't come up, so I'll have to check it out tonight.

Michael said...

I love Phil Oakey!

Paul said...

for me (as a slightly less discerning pop music person) she's totally worthy of the hype and the backlash is well, just ridiculous in my eyes. I'm so excited for this album. Oh and thank you for the Florence tip. i have become enamoured to the nth degree with that track. You sir, rock my world.

DanProject76 said...

Worthy?

Oh yes. Unlike La Roux and GaGa.

countpopula said...

This is my must have for June.

Phil said...

I much prefer the stuff she's done with Kurstin. He's added an extra pop dimension. Stuck on Repeat was bloody awful. I'm the reverse of the current backlash. I'm having a hsalkcab...

Adem With An E said...

I certainly think she's more worthy than La Roux; the stuff I have heard from that album is very hit or miss, possibly more miss even?

The LB album is pretty spectacular though; listened to it a few times in the last week or so and haven't really found a song deserving of being skipped.