May 11, 2009

I'm having fun, don't put me down.



La Roux didn't sweep me off my feet with recent Brit hit In For The Kill single, but I am properly obsessed with their new single Bulletproof. It has a spikey quality to it; it's a pop song, but it's also shouts "fuck you." This is the kind of tune people will hear in a clothing store or bar and fall in love with it on the spot because it has swagger. A great pop song makes you feel cool.

There's been dramarama on PopJustice Forums about singer Elly Jackson's look in this video. She's Molly Ringwald trying hard to be Tilda Swinton. I have no need for pop stars to be models, but that lipstick is demode. She doesn't need to gild the "avant" lily - she has enough natural attitude. And just give her a different look with makeup and she'd be a beautiful model. Quicksand and her album cover are evidence of that. Elly's not freaky - she just doesn't want to do the beauty routine. She can even channel Suzanne Vega when she tries...

This is also the first time I've really liked Elly's voice, which she used in a very limited fashion on the group's previous singles. In For The Kill was actually - apologies for the rhyme - shrill. How she sounds across the span of an album is a mystery that will be answered when La Roux is released on June 29.

10 comments:

countpopula said...

This song is really good. Also loving "New in Town" by nemesis, Little Boots. That chorus is just slamming. A good summer for girly electro?

Paul said...

i was with you on being a bit meh over In For The Kill, so pressed play on this vid with trepidation. Oh! It's good. I like it a lot. She looks so mean and aggressive in the video though. I was a bit scared :S Great song though!
@ countpopula - oh i am so hoping New In Town is huge and not a disappointment (chartwise) like Frankmusic...

Ken said...

I hope, this one will prove to be better than "In For The Kill". I can't wait for Little Boots vs. La Roux in June. LOL.

Zbyszek said...

It's superb.

It's also interesting how sometimes a perfect song comes at a perfect time. Bulletproof indeed.

Best,
Zbyszek.
http://www.flickr.com/zbyszekzalinski

Brad said...

Little Boots' album track previews left me uninspired, but La Roux just seems to piss me off. Call me anti-'80's-revivalist fiend (and yes, I know she doesn't want to be known for channeling the '80's, but she is nonetheless)...

I don't know yet...

xx

Matt said...

I think I'm the only La Roux fan sometimes! lol. I know she's screechy and shrill sometimes (not on Bulletproof though) but that's what I like about her. She has a VOICE that doesn't sound like anyone else right now.I found Little Boots interminably BORING. Yawn. Such a mediocre little voice. So unmemorable. At least La Roux's voice AND look is memorable, albeit not totally original.

I also love that she's kinda quasi-dykey too. She's very androgynous, which I love. All the recent electro women (Boots, Gaga, Ladyhawke, Lykke Li, etc.) are all so BLONDE and girly and "sexy"(in strong quotes); it's nice to see the alternative.

daavid said...

She looks terrible in the video (the no. 1 no-brainer make up rule for "rousses" is to wear eyeliner, mascara and something to delineate their eyebrows) but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Let's face it, Elly is not exactly beautiful, and not very feminine either, but that's part of what makes her interesting, I think. Same goes with her voice. In fact I think the reason La Roux is so polarizing is precisely because she has the kind of voice you either love or hate. The music is not that different from other hundreds of retro Casio-pop acts out there.

daavid said...

So yeah, I'm on the same channel as Matt, I guess, except I also like Little Boots.

xolondon said...

These are all good points. I know I could not take a whole album of vocals like In For The Kill, but the range is pushed on this one a bit. And yes, she is totally aping the 80's - a lot of her fans are too young to know that. But then again, many fans don't realize how much Polly Harvey rips off Patti Smith...

I actually do think Elly is far prettier than her presentation. It's all in the camera's eye.

The point about Little Boots is one I have said all along. If you like her melodies, you probably like her, but there is NOTHING unique there. I suspect people view both these women as kind of indie, but are they? Not really.

xolondon said...

PS: At the end of the day, one thing that chafes me about pop is how much manipulation goes on from the labels. Victoria Hesketh recorded her album with Greg Kurstin, like Lily and Kylie and yet she is hailed as the auteur. (she is very DIY, but I'll be interested to see her album credits). Anyway, it's always been this way and maybe doesn't matter at all if you like the tunes.