April 12, 2009

Diamonds are forever



Marina And The Diamonds are the bee's knees.

There is a level of complexity to her songs
and a depth to her voice that I'm not hearing in some of the other new electro stars on the scene (you know who they are). She hasn't sacrificed a great pop melody either. The band is recording their debut album now, but the first single/video Obsessions is out and an upcoming tune I Am Not A Robot! - the exclamation point is Marina's- is absolutely sublime. Hear both on myspace and you'll get what I mean about these tunes going beyond standard electropop.

Though Marina is not Anointed yet by the mass media, Peter "PopJustice" Robinson says, "
She is sort of the best thing ever isn't she?" Indeedy. She also seems to be a real girl - I loved her recent blog post about gay cartoon characters. It also doesn't hurt that, like me, she has Welsh roots and is a complete pop culture maven.



Marina's single Obsessions is not available in the US yet, but it is on iTunes UK and Amazon UK, as is Mowgli's Road. A great blog called Kickin' The Peanuts has more on M&D. Fluxblog has another gem called Shampain Sleeper (thanks Andrew!).

10 comments:

Michael said...

I like it, she has a distinctive voice.

Brad said...

i quite like...i just want to hear more first.

Paul said...

i've been sort of following her on popjustice. she is indeed quite a rare creature and quite lovely. her blogs are usually quite unique and often hilarious.

daavid said...

As I was listening to the track I went from "uh-oh" to "this isn't bad at all, actually". Still, her voice makes me very uncomfortable at times as it reminds me of certain singers I used to really hate.

xolondon said...

See what you think about the track on Fluxblog (link above). Let me know!

DanProject76 said...

I knew you'd like her. Mostly because she's very good, not just a gimicky flavour of the month and has proper songs...

Her other songs are damn good too. Shampain Sleeper is my other favourite and it's been on a few CDs I made people recently. I like it when artists make the effort to have enough good stuff before getting the album finished.

katagogo said...

She was supporting a gig I was working at on Saturday, but she was far superior to the lead act. Can't wait to hear more from her!

xolondon said...

Glad to know she is good live. That matters!

will said...

Wait til you hear my co-producer Adi's remix of "Obsessions" :') It's v. Frankmusik.

Devian said...

oh i knew you would love marina! i have obsessions on 7". she's also VERY sweet - we share a love of "them heavy people" by miss kate bush. ~dev