March 1, 2009

Frankmusik: Is Vincent Frank honest, crazy or just a big peen?


photo via Frank's myspace and "louiswanks"

Vincent Frank - aka Frankmusik - just gave to the Times Online one of the most insane interviews I've ever read. I mean, this is a psychiatric cabaret worthy of no less than the esteemed Courtney Love.

Read it now.

Among the highlights he spews: That his girlfriend Olivia had a miscarriage and "it tore a massive piece out of us.” How poetic. I'm sure she is thrilled to have that detail splashed in the papers. Then there are the multiple suicide attempts (one recent) and, less shockingly, de rigueur sexual liaisons, the latter of which he claims are "good for the music." Then there is the fact that he is leaving half his earnings to a musician he admires in the US. Huh? Don't get me started on the sleeping with a male popstar bit (he conveniently says they didn't have sex).

There are two ways to read this:

1) He is having a go at the writer, mocking the concept of modern press, in which one sells one's darkest secrets for attention. The problem with this one is that he also mocks the people who read it and believe it. It's insulting.

2) He is telling the truth, which would not jibe with earlier interviews in which he seems entirely together and focused. The problem with this theory is that he seems worryingly unequipped for fame. I have no doubt he's probably an ADD mini-genius - you can almost hear that in his herky jerky musical style - but if these personal stories are true, why share them with a major newspaper?

I'd hope that in Vincent Frank we've found a worthy, talented new link in pop music, which so few male artists have the balls to create. We all do crazy-ass shit at times, we all have dramas either foisted upon us or self created, but I prefer pop stars who keep it together and build their success on their music. You can be frank (haw haw) and still keep your dirt private. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the songs, so I am going to pretend this interview did not happen (I tried this with the Bush administration and it didn't work). I'll just stick my fingers in my ears and go la-la-la when I'm not listening to the masterpieces that are Run Away From Trouble and Vacant Heart.

FrankMusik Better Off As Two:



Better Off As Two is out in May. The album is delayed again, this time until July.

Watch this video and you'll see someone really likable...

8 comments:

John said...

Here's hoping that there isn't a meltdown before his career even gets off the ground. Any word why they're pushing the CD release back again?

Salvador Ali said...

I really like the music in "Better Off As Two," and the video is fantastic. But in the video, the dude kind of creeps me out. I think I read the interview as #2.

D'luv said...

Man, all you gotta do to get laid if your ugly is get a record contract...

zen~ said...

Frank is far from ugly (I'd say he's totally shagsworthy). He seems like a bona fide nutter. Dated quite a few of them myself.

Paul said...

what the fuck was that about?! Good grief. Yes best to ignore methinks.

White said...

Hi, I just heard Vacant Heart and it's so beautiful... I don't actually like most of Frank's stuff that much, so it came as a surprise. Do you have any idea where I can buy or download it? It's not on amazon...

and as for the guy himself, he's totally fit and being crazy is a plus in my book.

motormouth said...

I am confused with the article too...but just going with it...it's fascinating...there's alot of emotion and vulnerability...I just hope this evolution or revolution is not predictable...cant' wait to see him live...and living.

DanProject76 said...

The album's delayed again? He has enough great songs for a great album!

How odd, I was listening to my Frankmusik playlist when I clicked here and read that weird interview. I think some of it might be fiction but that;s bloody odd, isn't it? He's usually so 'normal' although I bloody well hate that word.

What's all this "debut single" crap? Did I imagine In Step and Three Little Words?