March 31, 2009

2009: Q1

I'm baaaack. Here, in no order, are my Top Songs for the first quarter of 2009. A few rules: These tunes do not have to be singles, but I allow only one song by each artist (or else it would have been dominated by Pet Shop Boys and Royksopp). The colored link will take you to a place you can hear/see the song.

Saint Etienne
Method Of Modern Love myspace
Pet Shop Boys Pandemonium hear it
Lily Allen Back To The Start hear it
Just Jack Embers video
Morrissey It's Not Your Birthday Anymore
Erik Hassle Hurtful video
Roots Union Rough Diamonds myspace
Neko Case People Gotta Lot Of Nerve video
Maria Taylor Time Lapse Lifeline video
Starsailor You Never Get What You Deserve hear it
Tori Amos Welcome To England
RaRa Riot Suspended In Gaffa
Bat For Lashes Pearl's Dream
RuPaul Never Go Home Again
Empire Of The Sun Walking On A Dream myspace
Kate Havnevik Halo myspace
Royksopp Vision One stream it
Antigone Promiscuity myspace

What are your favorites?

Worthy albums thus far: Royksopp, Pet Shop Boys, Black Room, Starsailor, Lily Allen

What's coming: Antigone Foster, Depeche Mode, Tori Amos, Frankmusik, Rose Elinor Dougall (ex-Pipettes), Just Jack, Patrick Wolf, Erik Hassle, Kate Havnevik

Disappointing: U2, Morrissey, Prince

The artwork above is by Miroslav Sasek.

12 comments: said...

Not digging the new A Camp OR Antony and the Johnsons?! Color me a little surprised...

KulPop said...

Great list, have most of them on my iTunes.

As far as new cds, I'm looking forward to Imogen Heap, Howard Jones, Tracey Thorn, and Naked Eyes forthcoming albums (and hoping we get something this year from The Gadsdens, Scritti Politti, Lo-Fi-Fnk, The Provider, Nick Heyward, Ferras, and Captain.)

D'luv said...

Actually, I was just thinking yesterday how "Stand Up Comedy" and "Magnificent" off the latest U2 shoulda been then lead single(s). Those ones aren't too bad.

Only albums I've bought have been Saint Etienne "London Conversations" (worth it), U2 (grower), Kelly Clarkson (bland beyond belief, save for two single-worthy tracks) and Pet Shop Boys (hands-down the one to beat this year).

Michael said...

I've liked the White Lies, Grammatics, and Gui Boratto releases. Maybe Red Light Company, although it's a bit repetitive.

countpopula said...

I agree with D'Luv that "Magnificent" should have been first from U2.

Also like most of the Antony record. "Everglade" is simply magical.

Pet Shop Boys have released the most consistent quality effort IMO, with "Love Etc.", "Pandemonium", "All Over the World" and "More Than a Dream" being early faves.

The Morrissey grew on me quite a bit. I actually think it may be better than Ringleader.

I would have to add "Zero" by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs--what a pleasant surprise!, "French Navy" by Camera Obscura, "To Lose My Life" by White Lies, and "No You Girls" from Franz Ferdinand, a kind of echo of Blur's "Girls & Boys" that's been highly underrated.

The Lily Allen, School of Seven Bells, and Glasvegas (in the US) albums were pretty special. Also surprised there was no mention of Bird & the Bee--that's a unique and excellent album for people who wanna get a little taste of music from the guy who did all the tracks on Lily's album.

My God is it April already?

Welcome back...

countpopula said...

I almost forgot--thanks for namechecking the Saint Etienne song, still my favorite of Q1.

lutz said...

agreed about the White Lies album,which really has grown on me. Also, Mando Diao's Dance with somebody is great. And I'm still listening to the Killers' Day and Age, which I love!

DanProject76 said...

According to my ongoing list which I make for these kind of things, in order of writing them down:

Antony: Another World
Lily Allen: Right Back To The Start
A Camp: Stronger Than Jesus
Morrissey: It's Not Your Birthday Anymore
Saint Etienne: Method of Modern Love
Scissor Sisters: Do the Strand
Raphael Saadiq: 100 Yard Dash
Pet Shop Boys & Phil Oakey: This Used To Be The Future
Frankmusik: Icebox
Marina & The Diamonds: Obsessions
Bat For Lashes: Daniel
Royksopp & Robyn : The Girl and the Robot
mnek: If Truth Be Told
Noisettes: Wild Young Hearts
Antigone: Promiscuity
Prince: Dance 4 Me (only got the album today so this might change)

Paul said...

I love lists I do! I'm going to mirror yours (I agree with lots of acts, just changed the songs somewhat) and add a few of my own. Because it's been about the chirpy uplifting pop for me that put a bright light on the post christmas blues/crappy state of the world start of the year:

St Etienne - Method of Modern Love (and rediscovering Hobart Paving!)
Pet Shop Boys - Love etc
Lily Allen - The Fear
Erik Hassle - Hurtful
Alcazar - Stay The Night
Mans Zelmerlow - Hope and Glory
Bat for Lashes - Daniel
BWO - You're Not Alone
Simon Curtis - On The Wings of A Dream
Candy Coated Chaos - masquerade
Annie Lennox - Shining Light

Agree with Lily Allen and PSB albums, would add Erik Hassle, Alcazar and Mans Zelmerlow to my poppy list.

Looking forward to BWO (now here!), Little Boots, The Days, Depeche Mode, Alain Clark, the PWL rereleases, and the next Shayne Ward album. If it ever arrives.

zen~ said...

It has been a fantastic 3 months for new music, I have to say!

The new Y.A.S./Mirwais album 'Arabology' has to be the most sonically exciting album of the year; 'Two Suns' by Bat For Lashes and 'Yes' by the PSBs the two most consistent and enjoyable albums; Lily's is a pleasant surprise, as is the new Depeche Mode album (minus 'Wrong'...which is,er, wrong!) and I am still trying to get my ears around the new Kish Mauve opus 'Black Heart' (more rockier than I had hoped).

The songs -
Travelling Woman - Bat 4 Lashes
Method of Modern Love - St. E.
Love, etc - Pet Shop Boys
Williams Blood - Grace Jones
The Fear - Lily
Do The Strand - Scissor Sisters
Promiscuity - Antigone
EVERYTHING on 'Arabology'!!!!

And the blast-from-the-past that I can't stop playing is 'Interlude' by Morrissey and Siouxsie Sioux!!

Dublin Dave said...

Your music blog is my favourite - I've found so many new songs through you, and your attention to detail is amazing. Mine would be
Daniel - Bat For Lashes
The Fear - Lily Allen
All Over The World - Pet Shop Boys
The Girl and the Robot - Royskopp
Chinatown - A Camp
I Am Not A Robot - Marina and the Diamonds
Little Shadow - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Memory of You - Girls Aloud
Home - Gemma Hayes (lovely Wizard of Oz inspired video)
Show Me Love - Kate Havnevik (new version)
The Tornado Loves You - Neko Case
PJ Harvey - Black Hearted Love (another great video)
Fischerspooner - The Best Revenge ( a bit Duran Duran with Tellytubby bvs)
10.03 - Doves (very epic sphagetti western stylee album)

xolondon said...

Hi Dublin Dave! You and DP76 commented on the great Marina & The Diamonds. YESSS. Am doing a post on her now.