January 24, 2009

Tragic news: Lamya has died

the amazing Omanian singer, has died of unknown causes. I first noticed Lamya when she performed with Duran Duran on their 1994 Unplugged and stole the show during Come Undone (see below). Years later, in 2002, she released a truly brilliant album, Learning From Falling, produced by Nellee Hooper and a very young Mark Ronson.

Read my review of Learning From Falling here.

I'd always hoped she'd release another record. She had actually recorded a new CD, Hiding In Plain Sight, that was due this year. I hope it gets released. You can buy her music cheaply all over the place. Get the album or just try Black Mona Lisa first - it's really moving. She was, I believe, one of the early signings to Clive Davis' J Records, but she was too clever to fit a mold for radio. Her music was too intelligent and far too vast.

Read what Simon LeBon says about Lamya and her passing

Lamya Empires:

A kooky, ingenious song with a video in which Lamya looms over city boys.

Lamya with Duran Duran Come Undone

I could not find the Unplugged on youtube, but please watch the version above - she comes in at around 4:30. This is 1994 - she was a major, major singer. I am really upset by this news.

I am not afraid
To be a lone bohemian
I can paint a portrait of myself
I will call me a black Mona Lisa
Mona Lisa

Bless you, Lamya.


DanProject76 said...


I loved her music.


countpopula said...

Wow, this was a shock. It's a shame to see another young Middle Eastern woman being taken so early, and brings back memories of Ofra Haza's passing almost 10 years ago (she would have been 51 now).

I'm surprised there has yet to be a cause of death determined. She truly was an amazing and inspiring artist who came on like Sade with an edge, and got swallowed by the record industry. For those of us who knew of her, she will be missed.

El MarvelOso said...

wow. shock. very sad.

midnight lounge said...

....Some of the blogs have said her death on the 8th was due to a heart attack?

Shal2008 said...

I listened to her album randomly at a virgin listening booth many years ago and loved it. First time I bought an album by an artist I'd never heard anything about. So sad :(

Faith Folau said...

Thanks for this. I am just now loving her.

xolondon said...

Isn't it sad? I will always go back to that album. Thanks for commenting Faith.

Anonymous said...

Incredible shame,wonderful voice.Just heard about her less than 4 months ago and now she is dead.Wow