December 31, 2008

Happy New Year to all!

I wanted to end the year with one last post. Something that has meaning to me, but is not the usual type of music I would put on this blog. Pedro Almodovar's film Talk To Her is flawed, but there is a wonderful moment midway through where the action stops and he has Caetano Veloso perform a beautiful Brazilian song, Cucurrucucu Paloma, in its entirety. It's incredibly graceful.

I hope that 2009 is kinder to us all than 2008. We are lucky to have music that lifts us out of our own small minds. Don't you wonder about people who are not interested in music? Maybe the read a lot! I dunno, but this disco dancer needs music everyday. Happy New Year everyone!

Caetano Veloso Cucurrucucu Paloma

Note that the scene was shot at Almodovar's actual house.


babs said...

Yay. Almodovar.

Is the phrase "this disco dancer needs music everyday" a lyric from a song? Because it should be. And it should go on a glam mousepad or t-shirt or something.

I do read, but I also need music and meaning. (Okay, bad joke on my part.) And music and fun also.

will said...

yes, i remember this scene v. well! my friend cried; it was the only emotionally true moment in the film. "volver" more than made up for this!