November 3, 2008

You are sleeping. You do not want to believe.

All my favo(u)rite wallflowers and buck-toothed girls need to pay attention to this post, which is everything you need to know about Morrissey. Our man has 4 upcoming releases:



1. The Smiths The Sound Of The Smiths
A greatest hits double CD (47 tracks on
the iTunes version) with delish, bespectacled artwork and a truly epic tracklist that even includes the gorgeous instrumental Oscillate Wildly (fan video below). This album is entirely remastered by Johnny Marr, so these songs can finally go on my iPod without sounding like shite. Out November 10.



2) Morrissey Southpaw Grammar
A re-release of my least favorite Morrissey album (1995). This version mixes in three unheard tracks (Honey, You Know Where To Find Me, Fantatsic Bird and You Should Have Been Nice To Me) all in a new sequence. It also adds a hunky new cover
, shown above. Out January 26, 2009.



3) Morrissey Years Of Refusal
The new Jerry Finn (RIP)-produced album, delayed from September to February. The first single is I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris, with two new b-sides (s
ometimes his best work) Because Of My Poor Education and Shame Is The Name. The latter has guest vocals by Chrissie Hynde, who sang with Moz on the gorgeous My Love Life. Out February 23, 2009, potential cover image above.

4) Morrissey Maladjusted
Underrated 1997 album that boasts the epic Wide To Receive, among others. No details yet, but new artwork is expected. Out March 1, 2009.

XO's Top Ten Plus One Smiths Songs:
Asleep
Girlfriend In A Coma
Oscillate Wildly
Ask
Panic
A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Hand In Glove
Back To The Old House
Never Had No One Ever
Rubber Ring

What are your favorites?

The Smiths Oscillate Wildly:




Bonus: A shot of Moz in LA recently, looking fantastic. Thanks to True To You and Morrissey Solo for all the news. Videos here.

9 comments:

Dan said...

I am not a Morrissey fan in the popular sense of the word, but I do know a handful of his songs. The one that I do love is "You're The One For Me, Fatty." I have no idea why.

Of course, now I'm going to have to go listen to it.

xolondon said...

Each night I intend to drive you to your iPod. One night Sade, the next Les Smiths!

John said...

I know the Smiths, I know Morrissey, and yet I really don't know either all that well. Maybe that needs to be my Autumn project.

countpopula said...

Once again, we seem to be in sync, as I was listening to the first Smiths album today on my iPod--the first time in probably 2 years! Thanks so much for all this info! I truly hope those new B-sides will be available in some form in the US, as it is getting much tougher to find CD singles these days. His stuff is always quality and DESERVES the full CD treatment.

I wasn't sure I would need that new Smiths comp, but with Marr remastering, I may have to. (Did you know he plays guitar on the new Girls Aloud album, and has upcoming work on the new Pet Shop Boys record which was produced by GA's Xenomania?) Same with Southpaw, also my least favorite, although I quite like Reader Meet Author, now that there are unreleased tracks coming! And I cannot wait for the new one! Now Maladjusted too! That's a very underrated album--especially Trouble Loves Me and Satan Rejected my Soul.

Hopefully Obama gets elected so I can afford to pay for this stuff!

Ironically, I just did my 10 best of Morrissey list a couple days ago, which includes some Smiths songs. Here it is:

Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved me
Everyday is Like Sunday
The More You Ignore Me, the Closer I Get
I Have Forgiven Jesus
There is a Light That Never Goes Out
Panic
I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday
How Soon is Now?
Dear God, Please Help Me
Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want

Your list is great as well!

D'luv said...

Faves....

From The Smiths: "Suffer Little Children."

From Meat Is Murder: "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore"

All of The Queen Is Dead.

All of Louder Than Bombs, but if I had to pick just three—"Shoplifters Of The World Unite," "Unloveable" and "Sheila Take A Bow."

From Strangeways Here We Come: "A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours" and "Paint A Vulgar Picture."


Best of, most of, satiate the need. Slip them into different sleeves. Buy both and feel decieved.

Paul said...

First of all Sade, and now the Smiths instrumental - you are certainly broadening my musical horizons :)

Salvador Ali said...

Oh lord, is it possible for me to pick favorites? How about everything on the debut, Meat is Murder and The Queen is Dead.

I'm very curious about the solo reissues as well.

The thing that bugs me about The Sound of The Smiths is that "The Draize Train" is only available as an iTunes bonus. Ridiculous! This the only song that has not had a proper CD release (studio recording version, that is).

Also, I always thought the audio mastering of ...Best (Volume I & II) were pretty darn good. I wonder how much better these will sound.

stephen said...

Work Is A Four Letter Word
Girl Afraid
William, It Was Really Nothing
Nowhere Fast
Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now

V said...

Lots of Moz activity going on. And that rumour that both Moz and Marr were offered millions of pounds to reunite. How fantastic that would be!

Anyway, here's a list of 10 faves in nor particular order.

How Soon is Now
Reel Around The Fountain
What Difference Does It Make
Nowhere Fast
What She Said
A Rush and a Push...
Rusholme Ruffians
Miserable Lie
Girlfriend In a Coma
Handsome Devil

I didn't include anything from "Queen" because it's hard to choose from such a genius ablum.