September 16, 2008

1988: Leads you here despite your destination




I wrote this post on May 31, but it slipped through the cracks...

This week I must have played Under The Milky Way by The Church about 30 times. This soothing song has never worn out. It's now 20 years old. 20. It takes me back to the end of my freshman year in college, which was a very good time in my life.

Under The Milky Way is a song that stretches out and waits for you. Like a lover who doesn't ever bother trying to play "sexy"... that's what makes this sexy. I love the way the guitar sounds like a bagpipe. I love the way the bass comes in at the line "Lower the curtain down on Memphis." (:42 secs). And I relate to the wistfulness of the lyric, "Wish I knew what you looking for / Might've known what you would find."

I've been a bit pensive recently. It's not that I never thought about the future, but for some reason the future seems to have arrived this year and it's not what I'd hoped for. I've been reading about the Sex And The City film and how it's about the disappointments of life. Is it ever "too late" for something? At what point do you become resigned that certain things are likely not to happen? Because if you keep hoping for it, sadness is sure to follow. At what point does resignation actually become true self-defeat? I took for granted that many things would just "happen" and they didn't.

Fortunately, I don't think I'm too different from the 19-year-old me that played this song endlessly. I am a little wiser, even if I don't wear that too visibly. My best friends from that period are still my best friends, an achievement I don't take for granted. I'm not even sure there is anything I would go back and tell my younger self, except maybe, "It'll be okay, but you have to ignore fear." I sort of miss that version of myself and if I have any goal, it's to see the future as filled with potential, not regret or worry.


If you are too young to really know this song, I urge you to play it a few times. It's on iTunes worldwide.

4 comments:

Norman L. said...

xolondon...i have always been moved by your posts that reference the 80's...this one is no exception...i too miss that feeling of limitless possibilities...i too show no visible signs of experience...it will happen for you...it will happen for me...thanks for the memories...

Paul said...

Very interesting and thought provoking post. While you were listening to this in the 80s I was spinning Kylie, Debbie, Tiffany et al. However, I have listened to the track a few times now and it seems to match my current mood perfectly. I read an article in Details recently how one day you can just wake up and actually feel your age. I'm acutely aware that when we go to the pub with friends, I could easily be the father of some of the kids sneaking in there. I don't want to be the embarrassing older guy cutting a rug on the dancefloor. It's like suddenly I am actually my age and i have this acute awareness that I haven't actually done with my life what i wanted to and perhaps some of those opportunities have passed me by. Seize the day, people say, but it's difficult with responsibilities etc. Anyway, sorry for rambling. Great post.

V said...

I have to say that reaching a certain age, you begin to question all sorts of things. It's a very delicate time. I know that it's more of a reality to think that some things are just not likely to happen where most people would say not to ever give up on your dreams.

I think you're very lucky that you still have the friends you grew up around. There's nothing more comforting to know that you're not in it alone and that there are people to turn to who understand and know you more. It's a luxary, I tell ya.

xolondon said...

I am coming across a bit angsty this year, eh? I wrote this ages ago and had nothing to pop up, so I chose this draft. Last I checked, I had like 300 drafts in blogger!