July 7, 2008

The Wild Beasts and I will not be lovers

I've been desperate to find a great new British band. Where is this year's Ghosts or Pipettes or Lucky Soul? For a gorgeous moment, I thought Leeds trio Wild Beasts were It. Their single, The Devil's Crayon, is phenomenal, with the verse vocals recalling Big Country's Stuart Adamson (RIP). Debut album Limbo Panto's song titles range from clevuh (The Club Of Fathomless Love and Vigil For A Fuddy Duddy) to titles I'd call nutsy fagan booboo kitty (Brace Bulging Buoyant Clairvoyants).

In the beginning's end, this wasn't meant to be. Turns out the single is not sung by the lead singer! The lead has an operatic voice that, in good moments, recalls Thom Yorke and in bad moments recalls Tiny Tim. Not a compliment. So, The Wild Beasts cruelly teased me and we will not have a second date. Look for The Devil's Crayon on my year-end lists despite the disappointment.

The Wild Beasts The Devils' Crayon:

As always, thanks to Torr for all things vair vair Bridish.

No comments: