July 6, 2008

Weapon of choice

The video for Grace Jones new song Corporate Cannibal is suitably disturbing. I'm not sure if the song or imagery really hold up for six minutes - it seems more effective as it was first used, for a background performance piece. There is going to be a rush to claim everything from the forthcoming album "brilliant" and "amazing." I'll try and use those words judiciously... or find better ones.

Another track, This Is Life, leaked a few weeks ago and it's sick in the best way. It hits you and it feels like a kiss. In fact, after you hear the song, you'll be stronger than you were moments before. Which is not, of course, hyperbole.

Now called Hurricane, the album is out 10/27 in the UK, with no word on a US release. More new song titles have been released, including The Key To Funky, William's Blood, and - haha! - Keeping Up With The Jones. Can you imagine the pressure to create her album cover? Note that there is now a GraceJonesTV channel on youtube. ____________________________________

Edit: As per usual these days, I wrote this post before realizing it had already been done. MuuMuse worships Gracie and likes this track more than me, so check out his post too.


dgraysn said...

where can i find "This Is Life"? i need to hear it!!!!!!!!

countpopula said...

The song alone has really made an impact on me in the way Massive Attack did with their song "Angel" 10 years ago. Add the scare-tastic visuals, and WOW. It may not hold up completely over nearly 6 minutes, but if Madonna can demand 4 minutes with a subpar effort, I can make the time.

It's been almost 20 years since a Grace Jones full-length project was slated for a release, and this shows her as daring and uncompromising as ever, and the subject matter of the song has been haunting me for the past couple of weeks. Such is the state of our world today. Bring on the Hurricane!

El MarvelOso said...

Okay, I keep on going back to this video. It's so odd... I LOVE IT! Reminds me of "Warm Leatherette". I do agree that it feels like a performance piece.