May 7, 2008

Mixtape: Same Old Fecking Story



Cyndi Lauper is 55 on June 22nd. She sure does look fresh in that fab new press photo, doesn't she? I like her new song Set Your Heart and I love the clip of Into The Nightlife. The album, Bring Ya To The Brink, is out on May 27, but will probably leak next week, when it hits Japan.

Watch a long Madonna interview on BET's 106 & Park. A lot of stupid questions ("If you were a candy, what candy would you be?") and little information other than that Pharrell calls her Mdolla and Shorty Mac if you care. She's featuring a lot of necklaces and her Bad Girl era hair.

Everything is right with the new Coldplay song, Viva La Vida: the prancing strings, the wonderful lyric, the beat, the ohhh vocals. Richard turned me onto this song this morning and I played it like 10 times as I walked to the train past the Supreme Court and all these other beautiful building. Zing! went the strings of my heart...

The Times of London posted a mysterious statement about Andy Taylor this week. Duran Duran claimed he had walke dout of the band. The Times says, "We wish to make clear that it was not unexplained, that he did not quit, leave or walk out on the band – the Duran Duran partnership was dissolved by the other members. He was unable to get a US working visa to attend the New York recording session due to administrative failures by the band’s management." Ooh, dramarama!

Burning The Ground has been riding high recently with posts on "maxi-singles" by Stevie Nicks and Bananarama. I owned both of those 12" singles - the 'Nana song Cairo has always been a favorite.

BritPop question: Whatever happened to Embrace? And when is this new Verve CD coming out?

New York Magazine has an interesting piece on Sarah Jessica Parker. I like what she says about New York. It's also true of the area I just moved away from, Arlington, VA. It used to be cute and original and not rundown, but old. Now it's got a fucking Cheesecake Factory and Pottery Barn. Everybody moves to the cute place and kills it. Happens everytime.

Sex And The City Line of The Week: (said by Charlotte to Trey): "Don’t you bring that flat baby in here, I will kill you!”

Topic: Foxy Brown's real name is Inga Marchand. Discuss!

V just went to see Goldfrapp in Manhattan. Whyohwhy won't they do a proper tour? Anyway, read his review now.

Sharleen doesn't love you.

Where in the world is Shirley Manson? On a shelf, if the suits have their say.

American Idol is truly in its worst year ever (barring that tedious Taylor person). I abandoned it weeks ago. Yuri (wisely) agrees.

MuuMuse has a piece on the opening of Kylie's and Girls Aloud's tours. Have you noticed that every artist now does the Madonna thing with "sections" of a show?

Speaking of which, when are we going to hear all these new Kylie songs she is performing on tour?

Did you see this piece on the state of music blogging today? Very good. My recent Alison Sudol post was based on news from a PR email about A Fine Frenzy*, but I wrote what I wanted and added my own content. It doesn't matter in the scheme of things, but the fact that Lorraine appeared on many blogs last week was no coincidence. What I most like is bloggers with a personal voice and an opinion. If opinions didn't matter, the art of criticism would have died years ago. (This is not meant for any particular blogger, just something I've been musing on with some fellows).

When I started writing this post a few days ago, I was so angry at Hillary Clinton. I never adored her, but was always very pro-Bill. This presidential race has soured that a bit. Now I don't care because I think my man has sewn it up! Barack Barack Barack.

I am so drinking a homemade margarita right now. Au revoir bitches!

*PS: The new video for Come On, Come Out. See what I mean about a 2008 update of 10,000 Maniacs?

A Fine Frenzy Come On, Come Out

4 comments:

Phillip said...

Cyndi Lauper is a SUPERSTAR! I saw her live in Sydney in March and she was AMAAAZING! So underated...

That Andy Taylor statement is slightly weird...but am looking forward to the Mark Ronson and Duran collaboration in Paris in the summer.

I heart Charlotte from sex and the city...too adorable!

Paul said...

I fucking love your mixtape posts :) Cyndi is looking rather bonza i must say. I am eager for her album. Viva the japan leakage i say...

If I was going to the kylie or madonna shows (i'm not) I would be avoiding those spoilers like the plague. I don't get spoilers. Well clearly I do, i know what they are I just don't see the urgent need for the world to know what is happening ahead of time. What happened to surprise?

You can SO always tell when someone has just posted a slightly rejigged press release. There are now some blogs that have just merged into one big press release with very little opinion on it other than "oh i like this" or "this is so me"? HUH?! The best blogs are the ones infused with personality, pathos and wit - you, poppostergirl, the dans, D'Luv, Yuri, etc...

I'm done ranting now :)

Adem With An E said...

Yeah, I'm into the spoilers, only because I cannot be arsed waiting for the acts to release them on DVD as they almost never make it out here to Oz. Still, looks like there's hope in a Madonna tour again; Ticketmaster in Oz have, almost overnight, added a Madonna tour page to the artists listing.

xo what do you think of the Cyndi track "Same Ol' Story"? I love it! *VERY* camp and brilliant.

xolondon said...

You mean "Same Ol' FUCKING Story" Adem?! ha!