May 22, 2008

I just have to say this now

That's a picture of Daniel Merriweather in the recording studio. You know him from the better-than-the-original cover he did of The Smiths' Stop Me If You Think blablabla with Mark Ronson. He's been recording his debut album, Love And War, for ages. And he's been on the verge of releasing a single called Chainsaw for ages too.

When is this record coming? Because I am so incredibly borrrred by the current state of music. Ohmygod it sucks! There are some pop records I am enjoying, but for the most part nothing is going deep enough. To quote Richard Ashcroft "I need to hear some sounds that recognize the pain in me." That's a bit dramatique, but you get my point.

So Daniel Merriweather needs to be that! Check out his myspace page and note the diverseness of his songs. Chainsaw is smooth soul - and classic Mark Ronson, while For Winter is a soft 70's ballad, sort of folk. I emailed Robbie tonight and said, "There is just something about his voice that is so much better than most of the guys doing this kind of thing. Something more vulnerable about him." So bring it on Daniel, because there is only so much dancing and bopping I can do. It's only half the story.


Michael said...

I really like Chainsaw, I've been looking forward to its release.

How about the Jamie Lidell album? What do you think of that one?

small squirrel said...

I heart daniel merriweather.

the vid for "stop me" got me through the horrors of no sleep for 3 months.

lemme know when this is out.

Joseph said...

Better than the original? Those are big words! :)

xolondon said...

Michael - I only like a few Jamie Lidell songs.

Re the original vs Ronson. That Smiths song is not my favorite and the new version has such passion to it. Now There Is A Light or many others, no one can do better.

Danfantrish said...

Thanks for posting such a great blog about Dan. His album is out september time in the Uk and Oct in the states.

Ive been following him for a while now and he is incredible

If you want to hear more of his music old and new please check out my fan page for him,

other fans share pics and info too and i update it with whatever news i find out reguarly, Dan sometimes pops up to say hi too..